Thread: converting to G code

converting to G code

I have a question about converting files to “G-code”. A friend of mine just purchased a large (5‘x10‘) used CNC dual head router. It is using “Windows 95” as its operating system. I have access to Bob CAD V21, AutoCAD 2000, Scetchup, and Corel x4. All of these will save in correct file extensions but how do I convert them to G-code or something the CNC can understand?

Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

Randy

Bob Cad V21 should have the CAM software included, AutoCad and Scethup, you will need to export the file as a .DXF into a CAM program such as CAMBAM,or any of the following Vectric software pacakages - Aspire, VCarve-Pro, cut 3D or Cut 2D. There are also many other stand-alone CAM programs. I would recommend looking at CNCzone.com fourm for more info on the many different CAD/CAM programs available. There are also many other export file types that are supported by various CAD/CAM software, you will need to look at what's available that will work for what you are doing, 2D, 2.5D or 3D work.

Dave
    Epilog mini 24, 4x4 hybrid CNC, Aspire, Cut 3D, and lots of wood working equipment.

With BobCAD you need to install the correct post processor for the router. BobCAD has a lot of the for download on their website.

John

The post processor must be what we are missing. When we create a file it shows up on the menu but nothing happens when we try to load it. Ill check the Bob CAD site. I don't know anything about this stuff yet, so if you don't mind me asking is there anything else I need to know to get a drawing to the router?

Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member