Thread: HELP! Trouble with my Jet 1642 EVS

HELP! Trouble with my Jet 1642 EVS

I was rough turning a blank of green wood that was very wet (don't know if that has anything to do with it) when the rpm on my lathe went to zero. I am not able to ramp it up. There is still power to the digital read out. I'm not sure what to suspect but there seems to be only two possible problem sources, the power inverter and the digital controller? Has anyone else had this problem? What might it be? What else should I be looking for?

Blog Entries
    First, I'd check the connections between the VFD and the motor. A powered display says you're still getting proper power to the VFD itself. Try turning the rpms up (just a few hundred rpms, nothing fast), and give the spindle a quick turn with your hand... does it spin up as if it was working correctly? If so, it may be a bad starting cap. Are you seeing any error conditions on the VFD display?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

If the blank is very heavy and allowed to spin freely after you shut off the lathe it may cause the drive to shut down. Disconnect the power for a few minutes. Plug the lathe back in the look for the green button on the drive. push it and try again. This happens with my PM and I believe the two lathes are similar.
    faust

I did try pushing the button on the power inverter. Then I unplugged it and cleaned up the shop. Then I plugged it in and tried again and it is working. Cancel the crisis. I'm back in business. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

1. Make sure there are no strong magnets on the headstock. Something like a light with a magnetic base. It can screw up the inverter if it's too close.

2. Make sure your lathe isn't plugged into a gfi protected circuit. As in no gfi outlets anywhere on the same circuit.

I had a very similar problem with my 1642. When I called Jet, after lots of questions their service tech offered to send a new wiring harness and variable speed control switch .. When it arrived, it took about 2 hours to install .. mainly because of tight space and being very careful to match wire for wire .. since then my machine has worked without problems .. can't say the same for the operator ... If you don't have the manual with the parts lit it is available on the net .. or I can send you a link .. Best of Luck .. Don in Medford, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Jacobson View Post
    1. Make sure there are no strong magnets on the headstock. Something like a light with a magnetic base. It can screw up the inverter if it's too close.

2. Make sure your lathe isn't plugged into a gfi protected circuit. As in no gfi outlets anywhere on the same circuit.
    Seems like I remember a similar conversation in which a Jet Rep said that a magnet on the headstock wouldn't be a problem. I could be wrong about that though... Maybe it was that guy from ToolNut... uh.. whazzisname. Was it Sean? I can't remember...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain