Thread: help on the odor

help on the odor

I usually persist on other parts of the forum but am tring to help someone beyond my knowledge. My dear friends in PA just recently took delivery of a PC hand made table to their sprecifications at an amish furnture store near Lancaster. The thing stinks beyond comprehension. Then they asked the makers who offered to store it in their warehouse for six months and no other option. The owners claim it is not particle board.
    The makers apparantly won't share what finish was used or don't know. Any suggestions. they have had it in a closed room for a week with windows open and fan runing. No improvement. Anyone have a fix. would a coat of shellac or something else take care of it. I am told you can put shellac over anything. Any help will be appreciated. Harry

Do they have the option of sending it back? Sounds like an old, expired finish was used. Not good.

Shellac would help with the smell but wouldn't be as resistant to water and heat. Who knows what was used on the table. There could be a chance it's the actual wood, though doubtful. Some woods smell quite bad when green (fresh cut hickory always smells like cow pies to me, and it's pretty strong).

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Do they have the option of sending it back? Sounds like an old, expired finish was used. Not good.
    +1 Return for refund or replacement.

John

I 2nd the "bring it back and have them fix it". It could be a bad batch or vanish; or more likely an oil only finish that will cure for a long time then provide very little protection. I am suspect of any finisher that will not tell you what finish was used.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.