Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheap Tools--The Good and the Bad!!!

The worst tool I did not buy was the one that I needed but thought was too expensive at the time.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

The worst is a cheap socket set. It was a gift many years ago at some big family get together or some such occasion. I should just toss it as I have good sockets. (S-K, Craftsman, Snap-on.)

The best has been a cheap-o drill press from HF. I got this several years ago with the intention of making an oscillation spindle sander from it. I never quite got around to it and it ended up on my bench. I have a much nicer Delta unit however this one gets about 80% of my usage. I am not sure why it gets so much usage, perhaps from its convenient location. Or because it is so easy to move the table up and down. Anyway, its been very reliable and very accurate. I even made a very nice table for the Delta unit. Formica coverd with a removable center insert. And this one has a one time use table for a sanding drum. It took me every bit of 10 minutes to make its table. That table has been on there for 5 years and is holding up well! I haven't measured the run out on the little drill press, but its plenty fine for woodworking. This unit was $49.99 delivered to my door.

Another nice cheap tool is the spring loaded center punch from HF. About 5 bucks on sale.

Gary, you got the Record 52½ vises at Big Lots for $19.99, Lucky Man..... I looked at probably 10 Big Lots trying to find a couple of these when that deal came down. I couldnt find any. I have 2 on my main bench (purchased new at $119 from Trendlines many years ago) They are great. I would love to find a couple more for a new bench. I know that Highlands Hardware is selling the new Indian version. I have been wondering if they are as good as the Record originals.

Frankie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 07-16-2005 at 9:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Hunt
    .....The worst is a cheap socket set......
    Yeah.........the sockets are no good and the ratchets usually give out pretty quick, also!!! Those sets are "LIGHT DUTY" only!!!

On to something very useful

Randy:

You have hit an information gold mine. I hope you can keep the thread going or someone starts it again.

Living far from shopping, I tend to buy "Mail Order'.

So I have many tales--

Keep up the good work!

BILL FIELDS

Cheap Tools-norm Hitt

Norm,
    What kind of grease did you use?
    Thanks
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Hey Frankie, those are great little drill presses, and they even Import them in Europe. I don't remember the name tag they had on it, but a friend of mine gave me one for my birthday about 18 yrs ago when I lived in Belgium and it was Identical to yours, even the Color was the same. I used it mostly to drill all kinds of Glass & Ceramic bottles to make lamps, windchimes, etc., for friends. I would have brought it home to TX., but since I figured I would have to change the motor and pay the shipping, I just sold it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Hunt
    The best has been a cheap-o drill press from HF. I got this several years ago with the intention of making an oscillation spindle sander from it. I haven't measured the run out on the little drill press, but its plenty fine for woodworking. This unit was $49.99 delivered to my door.\

Frankie
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 07-17-2005 at 3:28 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Worst tools that I thought would be good:

1. Craftsman Lazer CMS. First one didn't have a flat cutting table. One side of cut-off would be square, and other side wouldn't. Returned for new one. Next one wasn't flat, AND the thing flexed so bad, that I ended up with a 'curved' cut. Argh.... after 9 months of fiddling with it, I took it back and DEMANDED a full refund...

2. Craftsman cordless drill. Wouldn't hold a charge worth a darn. I couldn't even screw up one 4x8 sheet of drywall and the battery would be dead. Took it back. They wouldn't exchange it. Instead, sent me to service. Service said that the batteries and trigger switch were defective. 2 months later, they called me and said that the "new parts" won't be in before the warranty period was up. So now, they allowed me to exchange for a new one. SO, I wanted credit toward a DeWalt. They said "absolutely NOT". I had to exchange for a newer CMAn model. The new one will only hold a charge about 50% longer. I will never buy a CMAn cordless tool again.

Best cheapies:

1. Atlas 4" jointer- Garage sale, $30.

2. Older HF F-Style bar clamps. (they aren't the same as the junkers they have now). Bought 10 @ 1.50 each. Wish I would have bought the whole stack of 20!

3. Black & Decker single speed jigsaw, and drill. Found them on clearance for 6.99 at Home D. Went to Lowe's and beat HD by 10%. Picked up 2 JS, and one drill (because I was having a garage sale that weekend). Single speed drills are worthless, So, I sold 1 jigsaw, and one drill, un-used at my garage sale for $10 each! (forgive me, I'm bad) The jigsaw isn't exactly a top quality festool or Bosch, but I use and abuse it, but for free (after selling the other 2) I have easily got my money's worth! Even if I paid the full 6.99 for a beater, it would have been worth it...
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Best cheap tools: first is a very inexpensive slow speed grinder I bought from Garrett Wade many years ago. Made in China and works great. Next are some made in China Forstner bits that I got from Lee Valley. Also on the list is a Ryobi electric hand planer that has seen lots of use in 20yrs and still works great. Also some corner clamps I got from MLCS about 20yrs ago.
    Worst cheap tools-Delta mortising attachment for the DP. Any cheap import drill bits, countersinks, etc. Craftsman router. A lot of the import fasteners that are sold by Lowes, HD. I avoid this stuff as much as possible.
    take care,
    John

9. Best value: HF 1/3hp drill press: $44.95 from the store. I am sure they turn out a few that cut oval holes but mine has been fine. Someday I will buy a bigger/better one and dedicate the little one to a task. Another would be my Craftsman 22811 table saw...not conventional but was inexpensive and ideal for me. Worst: plug cutting bits from HF. If I would have paid a dime it would have been 10 cents too much.

I've had pretty good luck with HF hand tools, although you need to open boxes and check for damage before you leave the store. You generally get what you pay for, and that's the reason I shop there

A "Must Have" item is the 28 PC. TRANSFER PUNCH SET, that currently sell for $8.99. For those of you not familure with this tool, a transfer punch is simply a punch with a shank diameter sized to match the hole you want to center punch. The HF set covers a range of 3/32'' to 1/2'', plus a 17/32''. Vary handy for building shop fixtures!

-Don

I guess my best cheapie would have to be my B&D drill. I've had it over 20 years and still use it often.

All time worst...B&D Router. Don't know why I haven't thrown it away (sentimental value I suppose)

All time favorite - Craftsman 15" VS Lathe. No problems, powerful, reliable. Plus, it gives me the most pleasure.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Cheap tools = poorly made tools. I like to think I buy most things based on price/value and that can include "inexpensive" tools.

Best "price/value":
    Trim router from HF -- $20 (got two of them) and easier to use than my $100 PC. Numerous other items from HF, but only after careful examination -- I wouldn't touch their sockets, etc.

Most Disappointing "Quality" tool:
    PC cordless driver/drill -- battery packs suck and are way too expensive to replace. I can buy two cordless drills from HF for what one PC battery pack costs and they work just fine!

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Best cheap tool: A $5 socket set. The alternator went bad on my wife's Saturn out in the country of North Carolina. Closest town was Clinton~15 miles away. I called a friend and told him where I was and to bring an alternator, tools, jack stands and floor jack as I had left all my tools in my truck.

He brought.....nothing. After sending him into Clinton to get an alternator, I had to change it using two pairs of pliers and that cheap socket set.

To access the alternator on a Saturn, you have to remove the front passenger side wheel, remove the mudguard and take the alternator out through the wheel well. Plus the connections had double nuts on them. To make it even better, it was raining.

It took me 5 hours to get it finished! I kept waiting for the ratchet to break but it didn't. I havn't used that set since, but just by working that one time, it was a best cheap tool for me.

Best cheap tool #2: My $2.99, 4" prybar. Great for so many applications where a small amount of force or torque is needed especially molding.

Worst cheap tool: HF speed square. The edges were so jagged it cut my hand open the first time I used it.

Also "cheap" is relative. Cheap to one person my well be expensive to another. I see many people describe a $500 table saw as cheap, while to someone else, $500 might be a fortune.

Randy/Kelly:

Re: HF stuff

Some of it really throw away. More of it is acceptable and a bargain.

And some of it is really quite good.

A significant portion of my shop small power tools are HF, and most are OK.

If I were a professional, like many Creekers , I would really think twice before succumbing to the "bargain" level tools. A lost day on a job will cost them far more than one saves on a HF tool.

My "big" tools (TS, BS, RAS. DP) are not HF--but most are made in Taiwan--not China.

I have a set of 18 year old 9.6v tools that won't quit--CS 3/8" VRS drill.

Also have the big "3hp" HF plunge router--dedicated to a fixed router table.

Works well.

Caveat Emptor--esp. in Chinase stuff--hope sellers will detail the country of origin

Worst - ANY inexpensive screw driver. They are worse than inexpensive drill bits; at least the cheap bits work once.

Best - HF 18 guage air nailer for $19. It throws oil and you adjust pressure to adjust depth, but it works fine. I just put a piece of paper over the wood where I want to nail, and POW . It's not in the same class as my Bostich 16 guage, but was a lot cheaper.

Most of the rest of my stash has been upper line, but not top-of-the-line products, and they have served me very well.