Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My next purchase should be...?

My next purchase should be...?

I'm more of a tinkerer than anything, but I'm about to get some shop space and want to get more heavily involved in woodworking. The projects I want to complete are varied, from small boxes to furniture pieces. I'll start small as I begin the journey, but will dive deeper (hopefully) sooner than later.

What I have: A standard set of chisels, tenon saw, dovetail saw, a few panel saws, layout tools, sharpening equipment, etc. For planes I've got old Stanley Bailey bench and block planes: 2 #4s, (a pretty beaten up) #5, #6, and 2 blocks (low and standard angle). I've tuned them up pretty well as far as I can tell, and they suit me fine. The joinery planes I have are all new Veritas: large router, plow (with the wide blade attachment), and the medium shoulder. I also have some inexpensive (and cheap) clamps.

So, with all of that out of the way, if you were me, what would you get next? 'Tis the season, so I'm doing my best to keep my family happy by letting them know what they can get me that will make ME happy! LOL. Seriously, though, my wife wants to get me something tool-related and I want to keep it to around $250 or so. I'm torn between a Low Angle Jack, Skew Rabbet (Veritas), or good clamps. So just for fun, what would you pick? And if your choice would be something other than these 3 things, that's OK. Also, tell me why you picked what you did.

Happy Holidays to all!

What is your sharpening setup?
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Good clamps.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Thom Edwards View Post
    I'm more of a tinkerer than anything, but I'm about to get some shop space and want to get more heavily involved in woodworking. The projects I want to complete are varied, from small boxes to furniture pieces. I'll start small as I begin the journey, but will dive deeper (hopefully) sooner than later.

What I have: A standard set of chisels, tenon saw, dovetail saw, a few panel saws, layout tools, sharpening equipment, etc. For planes I've got old Stanley Bailey bench and block planes: 2 #4s, (a pretty beaten up) #5, #6, and 2 blocks (low and standard angle). I've tuned them up pretty well as far as I can tell, and they suit me fine. The joinery planes I have are all new Veritas: large router, plow (with the wide blade attachment), and the medium shoulder. I also have some inexpensive (and cheap) clamps.

So, with all of that out of the way, if you were me, what would you get next? 'Tis the season, so I'm doing my best to keep my family happy by letting them know what they can get me that will make ME happy! LOL. Seriously, though, my wife wants to get me something tool-related and I want to keep it to around $250 or so. I'm torn between a Low Angle Jack, Skew Rabbet (Veritas), or good clamps. So just for fun, what would you pick? And if your choice would be something other than these 3 things, that's OK. Also, tell me why you picked what you did.

Happy Holidays to all!
    What books do you have in your woodworking library? Consider getting a Fine Woodworking archive and read all the ones in black and white and the first three or four years that were in color.

Zach, I have some DMT plates (600, 1200, 8000) and the diamond lapping film setup from Woodpecker's http://www.woodpeck.com/honingplatesystem.html. I use the Veritas honing guide (MkII).

+1 on good clamps. all kinds.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

This is not meant to be a smug comment; ...my advice, buy some wood and build something using the tools you have.

I personally read too many tool reviews and purchased too many tools. My body of work does not justify the tools I own. Having too many tools has taken my time and resources (money, set-up, maintenance, storage) that could have been better spent designing and building "stuff". I had to ask myself what is my goal? Do I want to be a expert? Do I want to collect? Am I investing? Etc.. Bottom line for me, I want to build stuff. And I don't want to have a two stall garage so full of tools I can't find space to work.

Start building! Your need for tools will become apparent as you build.

I agree with Glen totally. Get out and get started. You have plenty.

I will go against the grain some more and suggest not to add to what you have unless you sell any duplicates, and think long and hard before you add anything else without purging something.

If you have to pick something, a low angle jack is o.k. and useful.

+2 on just build stuff. As you get more proficient with your existing tools, you will find more uses for what you already have.

Do you have a bench?

Build stuff. Oh and buy a low angle jack to help with that.
    Paul

I think the use the money on wood and build something approach is a great one, particularly because it will help *you* decide what tool is best for you. Everyone works a little differently, and we all build different projects. If you've got enough tools to do something, the doing will tell you what you want, as you come across tasks you wish were easier than your current tooling makes it.

That said, the way I work. I'd be looking to add a longer, jointer length plane to the list you've presented.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I agree with buying wood and building something and if you don't already have one, that something being a bench would be awesome.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

I say ask for some good clamps. You can never have enough clamps. Seems like you have most of the basics and then some as far as hand tools go.

You need a bench. To build a bench, you need planes chisels, drills/bits, a square, saws, and clamps. It sounds like you everything but clamps. Another thing you will need is a vise. That would make a nice present at the right price.

Stan