Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie from Georgia saying "Hello"

HI Leo,

I use pure tung oil cut to 40% then 60% for the next application then 80% using a citrus thinner. I think the thinning process gives the wood a little better chance to absorb the oil. Since the oil is more viscous than wood moisture I think it needs help replacing the moisture left in the wood cells. Just my humble opinion. On that theory I turned the attached handle out of a fairly green piece of red maple. I am giving it the tung oil treatment and waiting to see how much it shrinks and cracks...more, less, same. You probably can already tell me but just as you said turning green wood is fun! I have less than $.50 in it and a lot more enjoyment so what the heck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken!

Hi Josh,

Didn't mean to ignore you...just bumping along here! Thanks for the working link. I am trying to make a meeting but I work 10 hour days, drive for a little more than a half hour getting home and the club is about 25 minutes away. Going to have to cut some corners to get there but 'm working on it.

AD

Hey Steve. Thanks for the Welcome! I am digging into the forum...great stuff here. Checking form...lot to look at here and even more for my weak talent to aspire too, but a challenge keeps life interesting! If I can just reach up and grab hold of the bottom rung of turning talent I see here I will just let the turning momentum drag me along for a ride of a lifetime!

Take care

Thanks Thomas. It is hard not to read here but if more reading causes more spending (and it does) I am going to have to read less and turn more! because I was sending way too much even before I found before SMC!

Welcome!
    My folks live in blairsville, and used to have a 'forward staging ground' in Cleveland when they traveled with the RV. Love that part of the state!

The more you turn, the more you realize that it gives you a chance to show off wood in the way it was meant to be (round). Your job does provide you with the unique opportunity to find all sorts of unique wood. Looking forward to seeing what you make!

Thanks Lee. We moved from Blairsville to Cleveland when I was about three years old. Yes I am partial to NE GA but boy has it ever changed over the years! Progress or growth? Some really great turners on here! I have a lot to learn.

Welcome to the creek, Arnold. Good job on the bowls and a good suggestion made about searching here for form suggestions. I know form is my biggest problem. Look around here and find something you like, then try and duplicate it. There are a lot of good people here willing to help in any way they can.

Thinning does help for penetration, but don't forget to let the coat polymerize before putting the next coat on, or you will prevent the oxygen from getting to the oil and it needs that to polymerize.

If I thin the polymerized Tung oil (I get it from Lee Valley) I use real turpentine, but most times I don't thin as the wood is dry by the time I do finish my turnings .

Oh your handle will get thinner in an oval way I would expect and the ferule will probably fall off, been there done that
    Have fun and take care

How long for it to polymerize? I usually wait at least over night. Is that long enough? How do I tell?

I suspect you are right..ferule seems loose already! Just wondering if the oil will cause it to shrink less.

Thanks Richard. I would like to try one of each shown here but with time and talent lacking I will just settle for something fairly simple and give it a try shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Dyer View Post
    How long for it to polymerize? I usually wait at least over night. Is that long enough? How do I tell?

I suspect you are right..ferule seems loose already! Just wondering if the oil will cause it to shrink less.
    As usual, It Depends , Arnold The pure Tung oil take longer than the Polymerized Tung oil to polymerize, it also depend on the temperature, and air movement a little bit as well.

If the temperature is too low, the polymerization will not happen at all, warm and dry conditions like 70 Degrees and overnight to 24 Hrs should have it all polymerized, how can you tell, feels still tacky or not dry when dragging your hands over it and it is not done yet

Pure Tung oil takes longer from 1 day to 2 days.
    I recommend you take a look at the Lee Valley site where they have the technical and instructions data for you to download, follow the rules and you will have good results.

One additional "heads up" the tung oil will polymerize in the can if there is air in it, meaning you should keep it full.

I use a closable beer bottle where I add water to after every use (Oil floats on water) that way I am able to use each and every drop of it and have it last two years without hardening .
    Some people add glass beads to the can for the same reason, it works.

Polymerization can not be undone, adding thinners etc will not make the tung oil good to use again

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...at=1,190,42942
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-02-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: add link to info
    Have fun and take care

Thanks Leo!