Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forstner Bits

I have a set of Columbian bits and they look like the Woodcraft set including the box. Fine Woodworking's 2010 tool review gave high marks to both the Woodcraft and Grizzly line of bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I also have some Famag bits and they're excellent, also.
    Plus 1 on the Famag bits. I'm replacing my bargain brand Forstner bits with Famag one or two at a time. It costs more doing it that way but the pain is spread out.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    I had run a set of Woodcraft high carbon steel bits for 7 years prior to getting a HSS set for Christmas. I had sharpened most of them quite a few times during that period but, with the softer steels that is really quick and easy. For the price I had no complaints. Do they cut as good as one bit that costs nearly the price of that whole set? No, of course not. If they did, the better ones wouldn't sell. I had no regrets. I also got the Rockler 16 piece set but, it was an impulse buy when they were on sale for $24.99; how could I pass that up? The Rocklers were quite a few steps below the Woodcrafts of 2005 but now? I can't say.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Colt brand from Germany made a big splash as they blew through the mag world a few years ago. We don't get them here in ireland, at least not without ordering from the UK and paying very high prices.

Has anybody had both the Famag Bormaxes and the Colts - or indeed any other high quality types as well?? If so how did they compare?

How do the cheaper Eastern made carbide bits tend to do in terms of manufacturing quality, life and consistency of performance versus the above?

ian

Blog Entries
    If you want to look at some serious Forstner bits with the traditional design, no point in the center, look at Connecticut Vlley mfg co bits (CONVALCO, now owned by Morris Tool Company). I bought some from Woodcraft more than 20 years ago, Smile everyone I chuck one in the drill press. Absolutely flat bottom hole!