Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zach Dillinger Is A Very Impressive Woodworker

Beautiful job on a form that is not used often enough .

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Beautiful job on a form that is not used often enough .
    Thanks Mel! That's exactly why I did it! Not enough W+M out there... too much A+C and Shaker stuff
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    $4K - including shipping? Wow, I don't think you are charging nearly enough. Seriously. Stunning work.
    +1 That piece should sell for a lot more than than!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Norm Abrams wears Zach Dillinger pajamas.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Dude...that is awesome. And now I hate you.
    We can get even, Harold - let's tell everybody that Zach taught us everything we know...

I can't believe you're selling at that price. I bet you'd sell more if you doubled the price. All by hand? Really humbling work.

A Lovely job Zach! Did you have any luck with the pigments and linseed oil on the poplar and pine secondary woods?
    Regards,
    Leo.

Thanks guys, for the kind words. I'd have a hard time, on a personal level I mean, selling this piece for $8,000, given that it is only about two feet high and I have less than 100 hours in it! But I'm open to offers!!

I work by hand because I don't know any better. Nothing more.

Leo, I did try the pigment / oil on the secondary woods. I wasn't able to get a convincing 18th century coloration, but the shocking "newness" of the wood is gone. I will continue to experiment to make sure that I really nail the coloring for the next one! Thanks for your help, and your kindness!
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 01-10-2013 at 4:29 PM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Very nice Zach! I will enjoy reading the article. That is what I want to see in woodworking magazines. We are in kind of a hand-tool wordworking vacuum out here in the midwest. We need more step-by-step period furniture articles. Nice to see someone nearby doing that nice of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    We can get even, Harold - let's tell everybody that Zach taught us everything we know...
    Better yet...Let's tell everyone Zach taught us everything HE knows...

That's beautiful work, Zach, and you're likely not charging enough. Craftsman are few and far between, and you will command a reasonable wage when you're ready to command it.

Zach,I know nothing of your customer base. What you can charge for something depends upon the monetary condition of your customers,the reputation you can build up,and the quality of your work. You are plenty young enough to develop a good customer base.

When I was younger and in public,I got a lot of orders from EAIA members who started collecting my tools. They'd come into the shop and want to buy things right off my bench!! I was a lot more vigorous back then,and spent most evenings making things. Now,I've gotten rather worn out,and have a smaller customer base who,fortunately,can pay what the work is worth.

You can do the same thing if you can meet the right people. Your work has a lot of merit.

Wow. Gorgeous. Inspirational, even.
    Michael Ray Smith

14. That piece would be a steal at $12,000++

Zach needs an agent.

Guys, while I agree it is a BEAUTIFUL piece, it is a SPICE CHEST . . .as Zack said, it is 18 inches by 26 inches . . ..

When I first saw it I ALSO assumed it was full sized chest . . . and the price was way too low . . . .but then I saw what Zack commented. Given the new understanding of what it is, the price seems pretty decent. jmho, ymmv

Still, EXCELLENT work.