Thread: Buffer Finally Complete

Buffer Finally Complete

I just finished this today. My grandpa made this base for a shop fan. I decided to use it for this project. I added a hard maple board then painted all black. The motor is a 3/4hp Farm Duty Leeson with a Beall Buffing Mandrel. I added a toggle switch with a heavy guage 10ft cord. An added feature allows me to adjust vertically. I will be using this for buffing and wire brushing metal. Now I need to find a way to store the buffing wheels. I want to hear how people here store there buffing wheels.

Mike

. DSCN2283.JPG
    Last edited by Michael Dromey; 01-13-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: settings

I just keep mine in gallon plastic Ziploc bags,One buff to a bag with it's compound.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I don't know how much polishing you've done. Forgive me if this is too basic.
    I just keep my wheels together with their bars of compound. Ziplocks sound like a good way to go. I'm sure you already know this but you want dedicated wheels for each compound and you may want different wheels for each compound as well. Black is the coarsest compound I have. I have a sisal wheel, a sewn flannel wheel and a loose flannel wheel for it. The finer grit compounds I generally just use the sewn flannel and loose flannel wheels. The sisal is very coarse and stiff and works well when you need to cut rapidly, sewn flannel is sort of medium or general use, and the loose flannel will get into places the others won't.
    Caswell's http://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing.html has a good tutorial and it's been several years since I bought from them ( I bought enough to last a very long time for the amount of polishing I do) but they had excellent customer service at the time.
    Rodney