Thread: Turns out I'm Boxed in

Turns out I'm Boxed in

My first attempt at a box. The box lid fit OK at first, though it popped off a couple of times when I was touching up the box and lid together.

Once I finished sanding and buffing, that lid has quite a grip. I can't get it off. It may be on there for good, which is fine because my goal was learning and not making something practical.

I guess I have made my first short fat hollow dowel. That is something I never expected to accomplish in life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I got it. I just needed a bigger hammer, vise grips, and some transmission fluid. Now at least the grain on the lid is lined up.

I looked up "turned boxes" on the Creek and found some great posts from 2003 back when todays Creek whirling masters called themselves "beginners". There is hope!
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 01-21-2013 at 6:39 PM.

Brian
    I do believe I had a couple of the dowel's around for a while. I'll try to put my box hand-out on here in the next couple days. I do some things differently then most guys and maybe it will help you out.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

That would be nice, Harry. I didn't look for instructions first. Just started playing. Actual knowledge and experience would help.

I did that on my first box too. I did leave a knob on top so with some time and effort I was finally able to pull it back off.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Watch out, those boxes can be additive. Try a contrasting color wood inset in the lid. Adds a little different look to the turning.

Try this... Now that you have to pry the lid off.. Perfect!... Take the box to the buffer and hard buff the interior lip with tripoli. The tripoli will smooth the surface and the carrier wax will lubricate the fit. Give it a try...

Really nice looking box.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice job on the box Brian!
    The guys are right, boxes can be addictive but then there's not much about turning that's not addictive!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy, is your lathe still out of commission?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Kathy, is your lathe still out of commission?
    Yep , but they finally determined that the main board is bad and are sending a replacement, so hopefully I'll be up and spinning next week. Amazingly, I've still got a tiny bit of sanity left .
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Hold on, Kathy. You'll make it.