Thread: Dogwood Bell

Dogwood Bell

Here is a bell I turned. I figured out a way to put a clapper in it, but I don't like the metal eye hook. Any other ideas? It is made of dogwood.
    IMG_6671.JPGIMG_6672.jpgIMG_6673.JPGIMG_6674.JPG

Very nice work Thomas! I have found Dogwood to be one of my favorite woods to turn, so much so I end up Scavenging all of the downed limbs in the neighborhood ...alas most of the Dogwoods around here are dieing of a blight. oneof these days I am going to try my hand at a few bells.
    Jeff

I enjoy making them, if I can make them, anyone can.

That's a beautiful bell Thomas. I'm guessing that you drilled a small hole for the metal eye screw and attached the clapper with monofilament or something similar. If you can drill a smaller hole, you could just put a dab of CA glue on the monofilament and glue it into the hole without using the eye screw. If you have a model train store in your area you can get very small sized drill bits, like a #75 that are .02".

Thanks Curt. That sounds like a good idea.

Real nice lines.What kind of "ring" does it make? I mean does it actually sound like metal?

Not really like metal. The wall is pretty thin where it hits, so it makes a pretty noisy wood to wood thump sound. I wish I could describe it better. But, more for looks I guess than the noise. I guess a bell in not really complete without a clapper.Thank for the reply.

Nice bell Thomas, I'm a bit of a dogwood junkie myself. Sure takes details nicely, I used a lot and gave a lot away over the holidays for folks to make finials on ornaments.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Beautiful bell! Also a dogwood fan, but have found it hard to source since people are so fond of them. My dad has one with a burl in it... would like to sneak in and take it, but I would be the first place he'd looked. :-)

+1 on what Curt said. I usually use a metal bell for a clapper, a small version of the bells on a harness for horses.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Beautiful bell. I hope to try one like that soon.

That is a beauty. Ditto what Curt said on the clapper.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the comments and help. I'll have to try Curt's idea on the next one.