Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who gets your tools when you "move on"?

My son will get everything...he's a remodeling contractor and cabinet maker. What he doesn't need he can sell. I'd take em with me but not sure how they'd perform under extreme heat.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

The hand tools that are dear to you, make nice tool chest / cabinet so they all stay together and can be willed or sold to one person

or
    hang the cabinet on wall as a work of art (art of work?)
    Carpe Lignum

Mike - That's sort of my story. As a young man I befriended an older professional cabinetmaker named John. Despite our differences in background (I was an attorney and he a tradesman) he took me under his wing and over the next twenty-five years we worked on numerous projects together. He taught me everything I know about fine woodworking, and we made many beautiful things. He retired from his cabinetmaking business about fifteen years ago and built a shop next to his house where he put all his machines and tools. He worked there for about six years before he became sick, and five years ago passed away. I was unfortunately out of town at the time, but when I returned I had a call from his daughter saying that he had left me all his woodworking tools. Included were numerous older machines - mostly Delta - and many fine old hand tools. When I told my wife she said I could take the tools on two conditions - one that I had to build a shop to house them in as I had no more room in the garage and she had hopes of someday being able to park her car there, and two that I had to find a younger version of me the same way that John had found a younger version of him so that if I died first she'd have someone to give the tools to. I built the shop - a 24' X 32' structure next to my house - the following year, and I have been taking woodworking classes at the local community college for the past couple of years trying to find that younger guy or gal.

Since I have two unmarried daughters who have no interest in tools or woodworking, I am looking for that special person to pass this gift on to when my time comes. I will always remember John because of the rare gift he gave me both of his time and ultimately the tools of his trade, and I consider it my obligation to someday pass his legacy along.

Guys/gals who have no sons who might be interested in woodworking, but do have daughters can consider that those daughters might later have a spouse with an interest or have children who would [or perhaps] be interested. I have some tools that were antiques when I saw my father use them 50+ years ago, and would like to see them kept in the family, or if not, placed in a museum for perpetual care. The routine tools & equipment will be sold if I go first since DW has absolutely no interest in the tools other than the product thereof.

I have made photos of everything and will finish a video which will have audio track to describe the item, source, use, worth etc for her to disposition that which kept me sane for many years. The photos and video will serve to provide the same info on other items to her or our children in the event we both go at the same time. There are usually sufficient distractions to keep a family busy at such a time...no need they be burdened with trying to figure that stuff out. The subject of tool disposition is always timely...no matter how old the thread may be.