Thread: PM-V11 chisel handle question

PM-V11 chisel handle question

This is in no way shape or form a complain, purely a question.

The flats on the new Veritas chisel handles: are they supposed to be in the same plane as face (or back) of the chisel? The handle seems turned about 10 degrees. It seems comfortable as is, but I haven't tested it (still at work).

Mine sure don't appear to be rotated. Do you have a whole set that is rotated or just one? Either way, call LV and ask. I'm pretty sure the flat are supposed to be in line with the front/back or the chisel itself though.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Radtke View Post

The flats on the new Veritas chisel handles: are they supposed to be in the same plane as face (or back) of the chisel? The handle seems turned about 10 degrees. It seems comfortable as is, but I haven't tested it (still at work).
    Hi Matt

Is the flat of your handle actually off the line of the blade, or does it just feel that way when you hold the chisel?

Regards from Sydney

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Is the flat of your handle actually off the line of the blade, or does it just feel that way when you hold the chisel?
    No, it is a visual thing. I'll try to photograph it, but I think it'll be tough.

If anything, I'd call this a "bug that gives enhanced functionality," as with the flats off-set as they are, I find it comfortable, but I figured LV isn't in the business of making "handed" chisels.

I had to go run down to my shop and look at mine again. I never really paid any attention to it. Mine are all aligned with the blade ... at least to within a degree or so. Certainly that is the way they are intended to be. Sounds like you are happy with yours the way they are, but i'm sure they could be adjusted a bit if someone wanted. I tend to hold mine by the blade more than the handle anyway, as with any socket chisel (obviously for chopping, not paring).

The amount of flat on the chisel handle is so slight (a minimal amount compared to the prototype) that it is really only for orientation and not for support. As a result, it makes little difference whether it is in line with the handle or not.

In any event, it you have any concern, contact Lee Valley. Their return policy is unsurpassed.

Regards from Sydney

Derek

Hi Matt -

That sounds like you have mistakenly been sent one of our top secret "special edition" chisels....

Shoot me an email with your customer number or address, and I'll get it fixed up.... rlee@leevalley.com .

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Radtke View Post

Stamps printed upside down are highlt valued by collectors. I'm just sayin' ...
    AKA - "The human termite"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    Stamps printed upside down are highlt valued by collectors. I'm just sayin' ...
    Yeah.... but that's after they go out of production....

I did ask our guys to put aside handles with weird grain/markings.... I'd like to put together some "character" sets for people who like variation in handles (I do!)....

Cheers -

Rob

Man, I wish your guys had put aside one of my dovretail saw handles. If you ever have an ugly handle contwest, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Yeah.... but that's after they go out of production....

I did ask our guys to put aside handles with weird grain/markings.... I'd like to put together some "character" sets for people who like variation in handles (I do!)....

Cheers -

Rob
    When you're get around to sending out free samples, I need to replace my 1" bevel edge chisel.
    My wife used it to open a paint can...

(go habs go)