Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melamine Particle Board Shelving

Melamine Particle Board Shelving

Just noticed that the maple melamine particle board shelving installed in our new cabinets by our contractor are not sealed on the rear edge. In other words, the particle board is showing. Could this lead to warping? Is this considered standard practice for custom cabinets?

Thanks!

If exposed to high levels of moisture it could swell but particle board doesn't warp in the same sense as solid wood, at least I've never seen it happen. It can swell and bow though.

Just make sure your dishes are fully dry before you put them away, or you will find out how exposed particle board behaves. Maple ply with a wood face would have been a much better option.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Your shelves will be fine. They won't warp, but will sag over time. When this happens, flip them over. Don't submerse them and you MCP shelves will last a lifetime.

Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 02-03-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Other than sagging a little due to being 5/8, the particle board shelves in our old cabinets didn't really have any issues after 20 years and they were only finished on the front edge.

Thanks for all the responses. Glad to know that the shelves are OK and don't need to be added to the long punch list.

Melamine and custom cabinets are never in the same sentence when I talk about custom cabinets. A 30" shelf is going to sag in a month. Be prepared to flip them over every month. How many years is this job taking off your life Jack? You're really going through the wringer on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Melamine and custom cabinets are never in the same sentence when I talk about custom cabinets.
    Why not?

Melamine and custom cabinets are never in the same sentence when I talk about custom cabinets.

FWIW all those super expensive totally tricked out custom closet systems are....yup, you guessed it.....melamine! Melamine is used in just about every high end custom shop out there. Many of the high end custom kitchens use melamine also, you can't escape it!

To the OP's question, yeah that's fairly normal. You don't see too many places that band the entire shelf. Some guys like myself will use plywood for the shelves, but it's more expensive so not really as common. I can't see a situation where someone would put something wet enough in a cabinet that it would soak the shelf edges, and if they did that's going to be considered abuse. So that particular item is not something you can get on him for. Which is probably good as your list must be pretty long by now

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    FWIW all those super expensive totally tricked out custom closet systems are....yup, you guessed it.....melamine! Melamine is used in just about every high end custom shop out there. Many of the high end custom kitchens use melamine also, you can't escape it!

To the OP's question, yeah that's fairly normal. You don't see too many places that band the entire shelf. Some guys like myself will use plywood for the shelves, but it's more expensive so not really as common. I can't see a situation where someone would put something wet enough in a cabinet that it would soak the shelf edges, and if they did that's going to be considered abuse. So that particular item is not something you can get on him for. Which is probably good as your list must be pretty long by now

good luck,
    JeffD
    Wait a minute Jeff, you said in the first paragraph that all the high end custom shops use it, all the epensive totally tricked out use it, and you can't escape it. Then paragraph two says you use plywood. Huh?

Wait a minute Jeff, you said in the first paragraph that all the high end custom shops use it, all the epensive totally tricked out use it, and you can't escape it. Then paragraph two says you use plywood. Huh?
    He didn't say HE used it, and I gather he does not. I prefer plywood in my cabinets, just my preference. If you want a nice clean whiter interior in your cabinets, then melamine is your best choice.

The only reason I bring up moisture and melamine is, our last house had cheap built cabinets made from melamine. The face frames must not have been glued well to the carcass as the bottom of the cabinet that we keep glasses in, swelled up like a balloon. Not saying we pour water in them, but our kids put away the dishes and at times, they are not 100% dry on the inside from the dishwasher. Well after doing that for a couple years....the moisture won over the melamine. I'm sure todays melamine is a better product and the glues should keep moisture from reaching it anyways. Just saying I did have an issue with it.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Ahh, well Richard let me elaborate First off I wouldn't consider my work in the same scope as the truly high end guys. I'd like to think it's better than average, but it's not quite the top shelf. Maybe if I keep at it for another couple decades I'll get there eventually.

Secondly I use both plywood and melamine all the time. Plywood for kitchens and small built-ins as I'm not as cost conscious as bigger shops are, and I prefer the durability as well as the lighter weight which does make a difference when you often work alone. I do however use melamine for the closet systems I get from time to time. I don't think there's a better product out there for that application, and to me that's what it's all about. It's just that muscling through a unit of 3/4" melamine does a number on you, and I'm not getting any younger In fact the only material I really detest is mdf as it's negatives outweigh almost all positives for me personally, but I digress! Melamine aside of it's weight is actually much easier to build with and contrary to popular myth, a well built melamine product once installed correctly should last every bit as long as one made from plywood. It's the "well built" part that's the catch. If your assembling it in your living room with plastic connectors it's not quite the same thing as something fabricated in a shop. Nor are the cheap outlet store boxes that I think give it a bad name.

Also FWIW there's an array of colors and woodgrains available in melamine today, some of which the average person wouldn't know the difference from veneer. When I do a "higher end" closet system I have a box of samples for my clients to choose from. Not quite as extensive as say matching wood stains to samples, which is not my favorite thing to do anyway, but does allow for quite a variety of different looks. And of course like anything else there's different qualities of melamine just as their are different qualities of plywood or any other product. Both the melamine and plywood I use mostly come from our neighbors to the north and are of good quality.

Anyway that's my long winded thought in a nutshell. Hope it clears up any confusion the first post may have left

good luck,
    JeffD

I should have mentioned that I was a bit satirical with my post. I hate all man-made board. I know MDF stays flat, but Lord is that dust horrible. Then the idea of using a soft plastic covered particleboard behind select hardwood fronts seems like a cruel trick. The fact that folks use it because it is easy to wipe down. Maybe we're simple folks here, but when was the last time you took out all the dishes and wiped down the shelves in a cabinet.

Melamine and custom cabinets are never in the same sentence when I talk about custom cabinets. A 30" shelf is going to sag in a month. Be prepared to flip them over every month. How many years is this job taking off your life Jack? You're really going through the wringer on this one.
    Yes, this job has no doubt shortened our lives due to the stress. After 18 weeks with no end in sight, we have put the contractor on notice that we will be filing a complaint with the state construction contractors board.
    The dispute resolution process will take at least two months and is non-binding. It will be up to us to pursue
    legal action if the contractor ignores the mediator's decision (assuming that the decision is in our favor). I'm not sure that the mediator will come down hard on the contractor, since I've seen some of the criteria which will be used. https://ccbed.ccb.state.or.us/webpdf..._standards.pdf
    The standard for cabinet doors references the "National Woodwork Manufacturers
    Association Standards". This trade group no longer exists, having changed its name to the National Wood Window & Door Association in 1985! Anyway, I've attached some photos of the contractor's fine craftsmanship for your enjoyment.floor_gap_2.jpgwall cabinets not level 1.jpg

I thought that the differing width of the cabinet top molding was required because the ceiling wasn't level. Not so! The ceiling is level, the cabinets are not hung level.