Thread: Tall Vase

Tall Vase

This one is 14 inches tall with a 12 inch diameter. Cherry, Holly and Wenge. 450 pieces.

P2030133.JPG

I let this sit in the shop for a day of two after I finished it and I notice in the picture there is a lot of dust -- guess I should have wiped it off before taking the picture. Other than that, what ya think?

She's a beaut. Great job of planning and execution of the plan. Finish looks flawless and form is spot on. Thanks for sharing.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Fantastic how long did you spend on it?

Lots of excellent joinery showing here, Bill. Don't worry about the dust, the quality shows through.
    faust

Good job Bill.

Wonderful piece. You got the right amount of white details for my eye. Any more would have broken the flow. I like it very much.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Bill, I think that this is one of the best pieces that you have posted. You seem to have got the curve just right and everything is balanced and looks good. The only thing that I am not sure about is changing the direction of the points in the top part of the vase. I might have left them pointing the same direction. Overall, an excellent job.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Bill, I think that this is one of the best pieces that you have posted. You seem to have got the curve just right and everything is balanced and looks good. The only thing that I am not sure about is changing the direction of the points in the top part of the vase. I might have left them pointing the same direction. Overall, an excellent job.

Thanks Robert. This is the third of four of these that I have done this year. One was Cherry and Mahogany with the darts pointing up. My Daughter-in-law got this one. One was Cherry with the darts facing down. My Daughter got this one. Neither of these had the feature ring. I added the Wenge ring to this one and mixed the dart directions. The other one is still on the lathe. It is Walnut with the darts facing up, no feature ring.

Art. It takes about four days to cut, glue and turn one of these. Most of the time is waiting for the glue to dry. Maybe 3 - 4 hours a day actual work on it. I applied about four coats of Lacquer and then wait another week before rubbing it out with pumice and rottenstone.

Blog Entries
    BBill really nice looking vase the feature ring really brings out the color of the cherry nice finish also

Bill, With the feature ring as a break I really like the reversal of the darts. Makes me wonder what it would look like if you reversed the direction of the spiral. There's two more for your series - one with just the spiral reversal and one with both the darts pointing up and the spiral reversal. At least the spiral reversal could be evaluated before glue up. I think a number of effects could be created by varying the spiral. ;-)

I don't do segmented yet, (other than two stave pieces) but I do appreciate the work that goes into them, and the potential for for creativity. Very nice piece.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

It's obvious you put significant effort in this piece. It's unfortunate you did not put nearly enough effort into the feature band. The positioning is too high, too narrow and too bland. Technical execution of the piece is quite good, but is lacking is artistry.

great shape and joints..I must be the odd gal out, as the reversing driection of the triangles bothers me a bit..hmmm
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe