Thread: MultiMaster Tool...How Do I Get It To Work?

MultiMaster Tool...How Do I Get It To Work?

I've had my Fein MultMaster tool for about 8 years years now. It's the older style, with a screw that holds the attachments. When I'm not using it, I think of it as a tool that, when needed, is priceless and I'm glad I paid the almost $400 for it. Whenever I actually have to use the tool, I get so frustrated trying to make it work right, that I end up tossing it back in the case and using another method to accomplish my task.
    What happens is, every time I try to use one of the saw blades to make a cut in wood, the blade invariably comes loose. At best, the blade burns it's way thru the wood until again, the blade comes loose. When the little adapter washer for the new style blades came out, I got a couple, but it hasn't made any difference. I tighten down on the screw just as tight as I dare and the blade still comes loose.
    I called Fein for tech help and the tech told me that I was using the wrong screw to hold the blades. He said the kit comes with two screws and that I should use the "other" screw and all will be good. Even though to my eye, both screws looked the same, I tried it and found no difference.
    To this day, I don't know it that guy was just yanking my chain or what.
    What the _____ am I doing wrong? I know that others use the MultiMaster with success, so it must be something I'm either not doing or doing wrong. Why can't I get this $400 tool to work the way it's supposed to work?!!!

try cleaning the threads,a lock washer,blue loctite as a last resort.

now that i think of it my 20 year old fein has a very thin ring on the holder. if the blade is not centered it won't lock down.

Fein really should have come up with replacement parts to fix the problem, instead of that funky little washer that doesn't work well. That's how much they care, I guess.

It would be helpful for you to post a photograph of the head of the unit so we can see the screw you find causing the problem. I have an old Fein Supercut that flawlessly works.

Tighten the bolt more, you won't break it. I've been using mine for 10 years or more and the only time a blade slips is when it's not tight.

I have the same problem, but I've never found a solid solution. Mostly I keep the Allen wrench handy. Fortunately, I only paid $27.50 at an estate auction, and don't use it that much, so it doesn't bother me that much.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

It is the washer size that is different. Most of the saw blades use the larger washer.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

The washers are the problem,they are cup shaped spring washers.The washers you have are worn out or lost there spring.Fein sells a replacement set of screws with washers that are stronger and works better.

I don't think you could strip the threads with that goofy little wrench. I have an old style one that i lean on pretty hard to tighten the blade.

Take $17 and go to HF and buy a good muli tool. Add some Genesis blades from Northern Tool and you're in business. My son rescued a Fein from a dumpster, (it's the lever lock model), but I have never used it as my el cheapo HF does everything I want. Used it today to trim some sheet rock so I could put in replacement pieces. Tomorrow I will use it to remove gout from tile. Last week used it to cut out sheetrock to locate leak and to cut ABS for a tee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Take $17 and go to HF and buy a good muli tool. Add some Genesis blades from Northern Tool and you're in business. My son rescued a Fein from a dumpster, (it's the lever lock model), but I have never used it as my el cheapo HF does everything I want. Used it today to trim some sheet rock so I could put in replacement pieces. Tomorrow I will use it to remove gout from tile. Last week used it to cut out sheetrock to locate leak and to cut ABS for a tee.
    Well, I went to HF today and bought their variable speed model, with a 20% off coupon, came to $32. First use today and it works great! Just like I thought the Fein would work. I've read that the brushes in the motor wear out pretty quick, but they include an extra set of brushes. I'll only use the tool a few times a year, so I don't think I'll be wearing out the first set any time soon. Anyways, thought HF stuff was junk, but I have to say, this cheap tool works and works well.
    I'll pick up a set of those nuts and washers and give them a try, but if you're in the market for a multitool, save yourself a lot of $...try the HF one.

I don't have the model you are using but is there a cupped washer that goes with the bolt? I think the cupped washer would act like a lock washer and keep the bolt tight. Are you using Fein blades or after market ones, I am wondering if the blades are thinner than they should be.

if you're in the market for a multitool, save yourself a lot of $...try the HF one.
    Another convert...... .

I've used the living daylights out of my HF MF tools and they are still going strong - long after my Dremel and the much more expensive Pro - something or other I picked up @ Menards have given up the ghost.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

One of my HF cheapies broke a brush lead last week. This is the only problem I have ever had with either of my multi tools from HF. It is about seven years old, and has made me a ton of money in my business. The brush was still almost as long as replacement brush. Wouldn't it be nice if PC, DeWalt, even Festool included a set for replacement brushes with their tools! Guess it cost too much.