Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you empty your trash can separator?

how do you empty your trash can separator?

I have a Jet DC1900. I currently have a 30 gallon trash can separator with a Thien baffle. It works great, however running the jointer or planer it fill quickly. Right now I put a plastic bag over trash can and dump it. I would like to convert a 55 gallon drum, but trying to empty it would be a challenge. Does anyone have a solution? Is there a way to put a bag in the separator and keep it from sucking up into the DC?

run a small 1.5" hose to the bottom of the can to create a vacuum under the bag

I slide a bag over the top of the drum, completely covering the drum. Then I invert the drum and bag together, and lift the drum out of the bag. As I lift the drum, I spin it slightly. It seems to work pretty well, and doesn't stir up too much dust.

My drum is only 30-gallons, though. It would probably be a challenge with a 55-gallon drum.

It is a shame to throw away as much sawdust as I do. Some day when I retire and start my gentlemen's farm with miniature horses and miniature cattle, I will have a use for the stuff.

Blog Entries
    I keep a smaller container and empty more often. Like tool chests, waste bins that hold so much that they become cumbersome are a no-win scenario. I wear a mask (as usual) and dump the bin into the appropriate waste barrel for my area.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Typically I do as you do and put garbage bag on top then invert the can. My problem is the garbage can fits so tight in the bag it is hard to pull it out. I usually have the wife help me. I did try to make a scoop out of a milk jug but it is to weak to work well. I am going to try to find some sort of scoop to scoop it out. When I did the milk jug scoop it I worked slowly and it did not produce much dust in the air.

George

I bag mine, but then dump it on the trails in our back 7 where there are low spots that collect water in the spring. Not the best fill, but its free. Since I'm dumping the bags, I can often reuse them a couple times before they start getting holes (using heavy gauge bags from Grizzly or McMaster Carr.) Using bags means I can switch them out quickly rather than having to dump a bin on a rainy, dark night. Grizzly sells a metal sleeve for their cyclones that goes inside the bag. I tried to make my own from a piece of laminate but that eventually broke and I bought theirs. Still, if you can figure out a similar approach that would allow you to use bags.

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    run a small 1.5" hose to the bottom of the can to create a vacuum under the bag
    Phil

Thanks for the idea. I hadn't thought of that. I had been thinking along the lines of putting something in the bag.

Bill

I do the bag over the can myself. My cyclone had a bin sensor and it is always filled to the rim - to me this is a good thing. I haven't tried it myself but I heard some buy those refrig magnets that look like people (Ace hardware?) with the spring clip. Clip a few to the bottom of the bag and stick the magnet to the bottom of the bin.

Mike

I get the wife to do it.

I use one of these inserts (made for holding a leaf bag open) and it works great. I've used mine for more than ten years and since it has lost some of its springiness, I use a few binder clips to attach the bag to it. It is 30" tall, but can be cut down to fit your size container. You can find them at Ace Hardware or perhaps a little cheaper on Amazon.com. When the bag/bin is filled, the insert just pulls out, allowing you to tie the bag and remove it.

I have three 30 gallon cans. Swap out empty for full, put a lid on it and take to dumpsters with rest of trash. Do same with cyclone bin and Top Hat bin.

I have a 50 gallon drum, and just manhandle it. Use the dust to mulch around trees. Here in dry country, we need to do all we can to keep the trees from dying. This drought is getting really bad.

What to do with wood chips? I don't use much walnut or exotics so take mine to a wildlife rescue place to use as bedding or whatever. If I'm making chips & dust that animals shouldn't be exposed to, I just change out the bag. Trying to empty trash cans is why I didn't even consider the 'top hat' design for my Thien baffle. It's easier for me to just remove the heavy plastic bag from the dust collector and empty it into another cheaper bag.

Blog Entries
    For my 30 gallon fiberboard drum I use a 45 gallon 4 mil contractor clean up bag (it barely fits). I made an insert from Formica to hold the bag open, using short pop rivets to make it into a cylinder. I lift the whole shebang out of the drum, then remove the insert. The bag gets set out to the curb for the trash collector.

15. i have a large barrel. 55gallon i think
    i made a roll around board to put under it.
    i wheel in the next barrel and sit the seperater half on the full one while i manuver in the second one . then i put the lid off the second one onto the first and wheel the whole lot outside.
    then i usually would burn it in the stove.