Thread: Workbench build question 1

Workbench build question 1

I've started building a workbench; the top is laminated 8/4 hard maple, face glued, finished at 3 1/4" thick and 28" x7'. Legs will be Nodin adjust-a-bench. I'm about to attach the front and end vices and the legs. Ignoring the leg placement restrictions necessary to accommodate the vices, ls there a "golden rule" of sorts regarding leg placement? Although I don't expect the top to sag, is there a certain placement that equalizes the likelihood of sagging outside of the legs and between them?

I know you said ignoring the placement to accommodate the vise, but this is how mine was determined. Sagging is not going to be an issue with a top that thick
    Last edited by Clark Harbaugh; 02-16-2013 at 7:41 PM.
    Clark Harbaugh

[QUOTE=Clark Harbaugh;2065032]Sagging is not going to be an issue with a top that thick[/QUOTE

I certainly trust you on that, but over time, won't everything succumb to the force of gravity? Like i said, I'm not that worried about it sagging, I was just curious if there was a defined formula for equalizing the chance of sagging between the legs vs. outside the legs.

Yup. Sorta put them a ways in from each end and from the middle and you got it.

Seriously I start with the mounting of the end vise and adjust one set of legs to that. The other legs can be closer to the end, as long as you leave room for any clamp.

Look up Frank Klausz Workbench to see how far it overhangs on the right and not on the left. The point of not sagging is that your bench top is so thick that gravity will cause less sag than can be measured.

I just put in your measurements to the sag calculator: http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm
    The sag will be 0.000 inches per foot even if the legs are at the very ends.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 02-16-2013 at 11:57 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

That's awsome, thanks. Again, I was over-thinking.