Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird Watching

Blog Entries

Bird Watching

I was watching the birds at our feeder yesterday morning when I first saw this guy. I got my camera and finally late in the afternoon, I was able to snap a couple of pictures. The photo quality isn't the best, but he would fly away anytime I got close to the window.
    IMG_5453.jpgIMG_5454.jpg
    I have no idea whether this is just an old bird, has some sort of disease or if he ran into something. If you look closely you can also see that his upper beak is chipped. He seems to fly okay and the other cardinals we have don't seem to bother him.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looks like a male cardinal that is loosing some head feathers. The other photo shows both the male and female cardinal.
    Last edited by Rudy Ress; 02-18-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
    Rudy

45-WATT Epilog Mini-24, CorelDraw X6,
    Wacom Intuos Tablet, Flame Polisher
    George Knight DC16 Heat Press
    BJ890 Muli-Function Mug Press
    Ricoh GX e3300n printer
    Vacc-U-Press VP3030

It looks like he's lost a fight for territory or something. Though I can't imagine cardinals being able to chip each others' beaks. Maybe he flew into a window.

I think it's probably mites. The reason that the head is the only place affected, is that it's the only place on its body that it cannot preen.

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~insrisg...baldbirds.html
    Last edited by Matt Marsh; 02-18-2013 at 1:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Ress View Post
    Looks like a male cardinal that is loosing some head feathers. The other photo shows both the male and female cardinal.
    Actually both photos are of the same bird taken a few seconds apart. It is a male cardinal less head feathers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Is bird #2 a cardinal, or is it a purple finch?

Blog Entries
    Photo 2 looks like he may have been plinked at with a BB or pellet gun. Or maybe he just had rough Saturday night.

Maybe he just goes to the same the same salon

118646566_display_image.jpg
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

The second bird in the second picture looks like a female cardinal.

The male looks like he just go back from New Orleans' Marti Gras.

Could be a Zombie Cardinal Don't let it bite you!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I think the second one is definitely a purple finch (or a similar kind of finch), only because the wings of a cardinal don't look like that. Females have less white on their wings, and sometimes (always?) red coloration at the edges.

Purple finches and cardinals have the same-looking beaks.

I am no bird watcher, but recall as a kid that there were 5 purple finches (or more) for every bird you wanted to see at my dad's feeders, and he always groaned about purple finches and blue jays.

Female cardinals often hang back or walk on the ground, as the males deliver food to the females as a courtship thing.

They also have an orangish beak that matches the males.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 02-18-2013 at 3:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Is bird #2 a cardinal, or is it a purple finch?
    It is a male cardinal, no purple finches were involved with these photos. Both photos are of exactly the same bird a male cardinal missing all head feathers. The photos were taken 5 seconds apart.

We do get house finches, but they were not around when these photos were taken.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Lee, I believe it is the second bird in the second picture that is being questioned. Just to the right of the male cardinal.
    I believe it is a female cardinal, others believe it is a finch.

David, purple finches are not very common anymore, but house finches, which look similar, the males both have red, are more common.

Yea, a male cardinal with an issue...could be mites or some other affliction. Or maybe a fight with another bird.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...