Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ugh, need to buy another laptop--help!

DC Connectors?

Matt,
    Be extremely careful with the AC/DC pin connectors on the Dells. We had 3 Dell laptops (Inspiron 15 series) that all developed the same issue a couple of years ago. All of the power connection issues were within the first 18-24 months of life but obviously not covered under the std warranty. I discovered that the inside DC connectors are poorly designed and aren't soldered well causing them to eventually work themselves loose (on both the connector to the outside and the connector to the circuit board sides) as the laptop is plugged/unplugged. I was able to fix one twice but decided it wasn't worth it on the other two. The one that was fixed has developed the issue again. Dell also uses a third pin on the AC/DC connection to verify that you are only using a Dell AC/DC converter. If this connection goes bad internally (the case in all 3 computers), the computer will not allow you to charge the batteries (even using the OEM charger). We also had 2 of the 3 laptops AC/DC converters go bad during this same 18-24 months of life period

Dell will fix the issue for $175-200 which we opted not to do for roughly 2 year old laptops.

I do have a 8 year old Dell home pc that runs just fine with no issues.

Given these issues, we have decided not to buy Dell laptops unless they make some design changes. We have several 4-5 year old HP laptops with no issues to date.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 02-15-2013 at 9:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Trying to reuse a Windows 7 key on a new machine is probably going to lead to a lot of troubles as Microsoft's activation system will see that the key has already been used.
    Not really. I've used the same XP on 3 machines that I've built over the years.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Not really. I've used the same XP on 3 machines that I've built over the years.
    Microsoft's activation system has changed with each release of Windows. They are making it stricter in each version. I had an experience with Windows XP where I had to call Microsoft because I changed some of the hardware in my PC.

I've also heard rumors that Microsoft deleted their activation database for Windows XP and is just allowing activation of any Windows XP key now.

Last year I tried to install Office 2002, could not activate it and it gave me no number to call After spending an hour or more just trying to find a number to Call I called Corporate Office in Redmond, they transferd me to someone else who told me they no longer support 2002. I said I don't want support just want to be able to install the software I bought and paid for, nothing in the license said a thing about it becoming unusable in x amount of years and if I had to go to smaal claims court to get the money I spent on it I would. He put me on hold a couple minutes and came back and gave me a code that would work one time.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I consider you right at the edge for RAM, but you can likely increase the RAM if required.
    I found out 8GB is < $50 so I went ahead and upgraded.

A side-effect of the SSD: I'm getting around 5 hours of runtime on the battery. At least I presume that's why as short runtime is a complaint on the Inspiron 15R from what I read. Not a big deal since I probably won't use it truely mobile but apparently not even a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Last year I tried to install Office 2002, could not activate it and it gave me no number to call After spending an hour or more just trying to find a number to Call I called Corporate Office in Redmond, they transferd me to someone else who told me they no longer support 2002. I said I don't want support just want to be able to install the software I bought and paid for, nothing in the license said a thing about it becoming unusable in x amount of years and if I had to go to smaal claims court to get the money I spent on it I would. He put me on hold a couple minutes and came back and gave me a code that would work one time.
    Most Microsoft products are only intended to be installed on a single computer. The whole reason to have activation keys is to prevent installation on a second PC. As you found out, you can usually call Microsoft to do phone activation if the online activation won't work.

Good luck suing Microsoft in small claims court. I'm pretty sure Microsoft would spend a lot of money defending their practices.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft would spend a lot of money defending their practices.
    They already have, and not in small claims court.

Most Microsoft products are only intended to be installed on a single computer. The whole reason to have activation keys is to prevent installation on a second PC. As you found out, you can usually call Microsoft to do phone activation if the online activation won't work.

Good luck suing Microsoft in small claims court. I'm pretty sure Microsoft would spend a lot of money defending their practices.
    It was one computer. If you had a brand new copy you just never used, it is now worthless.
    As far as court goes I have no idea if I could win but for $25 filling fee it would have been worth it to me to have them spend the money to defend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    It was one computer. If you had a brand new copy you just never used, it is now worthless.
    As far as court goes I have no idea if I could win but for $25 filling fee it would have been worth it to me to have them spend the money to defend it.
    Are you saying it had never been used and it wouldn't activate? I really don't blame a software company that doesn't keep activation servers running forever although it seems they could keep them going for at least 10 years. Are people going to be complaining in 20 years because they can't reinstall their Office 2002 anymore?

There is some business software that is actually licensed by the year. It quits working when the license expires if it you don't renew it.

Are you saying it had never been used and it wouldn't activate? I really don't blame a software company that doesn't keep activation servers running forever although it seems they could keep them going for at least 10 years. Are people going to be complaining in 20 years because they can't reinstall their Office 2002 anymore?

There is some business software that is actually licensed by the year. It quits working when the license expires if it you don't renew it.
    Yes, it had never been used. IT was not a business license, when I bought it I bout 2 thinking I would install on to of my computers, never got around to the second computer. My point was as to Matt's having to call to activate his MS software. There is nothing in the license agreement saying it would be unusable in 10 years.

Office doesn't have a license that expires. There is other software from other companies that is licensed by the year.

Office doesn't have a license that expires. There is other software from other companies that is licensed by the year.
    And that was my point !

Everything I have read indicates that they desire to move in that general direction. this is their current subscription based service, which does expire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_365

Matt, I have the SSD in my 13" MBPr and the battery life is indeed outstanding. The nearly "instant on" is also a great benefit. I'd do that again in a heartbeat.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...