Thread: Finishing Cedar Bowl ?

Finishing Cedar Bowl ?

I am almost ready to finish a cedar bowl, about 12 x 3. Most cedar bowls I've turned cracked, but this one seems stable. I hate to ruin it. I have a little more sanding where there is a few deep sanding marks from initial 80 grit sanding I guess and then have to finish it. Which finish would work the best on cedar to keep the original color and also protect? I have tung oil from woodcraft, wop, and walnut oil. I also have a buffing system with tripoli, white diamond, and carnuba. Just don't want to make a mistake and mess it up. Thanks,

I also have bulls eye shellac.

Thomas those 80 grit sanding marks are a pain to get out of cedar. I have tried a few finishes and I like Minwax Antique Oil put on as directed on the can. There is one on my web site if you would like to look, just type in steer creek wood dot comm without the spaces.
    Fred

I am with Fred. I turn quite a bit of cedar and love antique oil on them.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the bowl on your website. I used the 80 to try to fix the endgrain issue.