Thread: Plug cutter - tapered vs standard

Plug cutter - tapered vs standard

Thanks to all for the recommendations for brands of plug cutters. Question, tapered or standard?

i "assume" standard or the same diameter top to bottom.

I never had luck with the standard.....so tapered is all I use. Mostly the RTS 2000's....which are also made here in the States for those who care about such stuff

good luck,
    JeffD

Depends what you're trying to do. I often have to cut plugs to fix damaged screw holes. For that, I want straight. Most people are looking to cut plugs to fill and hid holes. For that, tapered works better because you tap them in with a hammer and you'll always get a tight fit. For actually fixing holes, I care less about a perfect visual fit and more about gluing area.

Tapered here too, 3/8" holes are not always 3/8", the tapered plug allows for tap-in to get a snug fit.
    This assumes, of course, that you're using the plugs to dress up screw holes.

I think you must have both, James!!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I don't use plugs very often, but when I do, I use tapered.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Tapered, less of glue line. Tom

Mike, your comment mead me think of this. Ha!

Cary
    Well said. Tom

Blog Entries
    I prefer the straight sided plugs. They glue up nicely because the cutter slightly compresses the wood as the plug is cut. The moisture in the glue expands this and give a tighter fit. If you take care to match the grain as you cut the plug and orient the plug so the grain aligns with the original piece they are nearly invisible. Once the plug is glued you can cut off the excess with a flush cut saw. By placing one layer of blue painters tape in an L shape around the plug you can eliminate any marring of the surface.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Cary, well said. Since most of needs are for hiding countersunk holes, tapered it is.

sincerely appreciate all of the responses, thanks!