Thread: 3520B Bed GAp

3520B Bed GAp

I'm thinking of upgrading my lathe to the Powermatic 3520B and was wondering what the bed gap is. It would be nice if my hollowing system and a few other accessories would fit the new machine. Thanks.
    Fred

Fred,

I'll go measure mine in just a few minutes.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

2.5" according to everything on the web.

Depending on what systems you are talking about and what lathe you are upgrading from, you may need to get new bases to accommodate the difference in height required. If you have say a monster rig, you might be able to buy/trade just the base. Steady rests would be more problematic. If you are going from say a Jet 1642, you would need a 2" spacer under it and it would limit the diameter that could be supported.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Depending on what systems you are talking about and what lathe you are upgrading from, you may need to get new bases to accommodate the difference in height required. If you have say a monster rig, you might be able to buy/trade just the base. Steady rests would be more problematic. If you are going from say a Jet 1642, you would need a 2" spacer under it and it would limit the diameter that could be supported.
    Thom my lathe is 18" and 3520B is a 20" and I think there is enough play for it to work. Not to sure about the plate as the gap on present lathe Griz 0698 is just 1.5", I sent a e-mail to Monster.
    Fred

18" to 20" should be ok, but I would still look at putting a 3/4" shim under the base of a steady rest if it is a ring design. Hardwood would work.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Don't know about any others, but my gap is slightly under 2.5. I got 2.486 at the tailstock end.

Thanks guys: I e-mailed Monster Tools and Todd got right back. He said post would be ok but I would need a new t-nut as the gap is different. $19.95 + shipping.
    Fred