Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3/4 HP,VFD Package for my oliver lathe

3/4 HP,VFD Package for my oliver lathe

I thought I'd start a new thread here, as I am still wondering what to do with the motor for my 159.
    I still need to learn to use it, but that is another thread.
    This set up is only about $180.00, and although 220 might be better, I like the Idea of 110 volt.
    I am renting right now, and don't want to run 220 right now.
    This set up says it gives you the VDF and the 3 Phase motor.
    I don't have any 3 phase motors laying around any more,
    Is this really ready to go, and all I would need?

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=6899

ThirdPackage.jpg

EDIT
    For $20.00 more,they have a 1 HP
    No the 1 HP has a 7/8" shaft.

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=6900

Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 03-10-2013 at 8:14 PM.

It seems like a good deal since the VFD alone goes for $131.00. For what size Oliver lathe would you use this? The VFD works great at controlling lathe speeds. Why does a 7/8" shaft bother you? Sheeves are very low cost items.

The motor and VFD are the big items that you need. Other things are:
    * wire
    * start/stop, fwd/reverse & speed controls (these are optional but more convenient than the controls mounted on VFD)
    * pulleys or sheaves and a belt (perhaps your existing ones will work)
    * I did not see the nominal speed of that motor; if it is 3450, you will not have much torque, 1750 would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    * wire
    * start/stop, fwd/reverse & speed controls (these are optional but more convenient than the controls mounted on VFD)
    * I did not see the nominal speed of that motor; if it is 3450, you will not have much torque, 1750 would be fine.
    Sounds like a great deal. Motor retailed for $311 a few years ago. That model motor is an 1800 RPM unit according to their 2009 catalog.

1800 RPM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    It seems like a good deal since the VFD alone goes for $131.00. For what size Oliver lathe would you use this? The VFD works great at controlling lathe speeds. Why does a 7/8" shaft bother you? Sheeves are very low cost items.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    * wire
    Rich,this would be going on a Oliver 159, might be a 159 "A".
    It is a 12" swing lathe.
    It takes a NEMA 56 frame motor. It is a factory reeves drive, and the motor shaft needs to be 5/8".

Dennis, You are right, I dodn't see a Motor RPM called out.
    Thought I had seen it was 1800 RPM, but I will need to make sure before/If I order. No, 3450 is way too fast.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    Rich,this would be going on a Oliver 159, might be a 159 "A".
    It is a 12" swing lathe.
    It takes a NEMA 56 frame motor. It is a factory reeves drive, and the motor shaft needs to be 5/8".

Dennis, You are right, I dodn't see a Motor RPM called out.
    Thought I had seen it was 1800 RPM, but I will need to make sure before/If I order. No, 3450 is way too fast.
    Thanks,
    Tony
    Tony,

It is an 1800 RPM motor. See the picture from the catalog. That system should work fine for the lathe you own. Good luck.

Thanks Rich, I was typing my reply while you were replying.
    Do you guys know if the reverse capability is built into the control unit?
    I see the speed/frequency is.

Yeah, heck, if this would work well, I can't beat it. TSC wants $190.00 for a single phase 3/4 HP motor alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Tony,

It is an 1800 RPM motor. See the picture from the catalog. That system should work fine for the lathe you own. Good luck.

Three-phase is easy to reverse. Just pick two of the wires and reverse them and the motor reverses. That said, since the VFD provides all three phases, it would be easy for it to reverse two of the phases. Hence, it should provide you with reverse. Well all the ones I have seen recently do provide capability of a reverse.

Good deal, so it should have it, if not, it's easy to hook up a switch.
    Well looks like I will order tomorrow then.
    I don't see it on the site, someone at owwm said there is a 2 year warranty on the Teco Westinghouse VDF.
    I will have to ask them.

Talked to someone there, did verify 1800 RPM, Gave me another 1-800 number if I have trouble setting it up. Said it could be made to display frequency or RPM, ands could be set up for reverse. Said there was a 2 year warranty on the controller, but only 90 days on the motor.
    Guess I am going to order one, hope I have good luck with it.

I have been looking for a deal like this for some time. It looks like just what I want, a motor and vfd that I know will be matched and compatable. I looked at the website and will probably go with the 1 hp 220 volt setup for the lathe I will adapt it to, an old Delta 1940s school lathe that I have come into possession of. I always hesitated as I didnt really know my way around the vfd part of this and the switching that has to go with it to reverse, etc. Thanks for posting this. Jared

Are you planning on purchasing it any time soon?

No real time frame just saw that it was available now. The lathe has been sitting for sometime, one of those projects that I never get around to starting on. Jared

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    No real time frame just saw that it was available now. The lathe has been sitting for sometime, one of those projects that I never get around to starting on. Jared
    I understand that dilemma. To counter it, there is a thread going on right now about someone who didn't pull the trigger fast enough and Felder/Hammer prices increased during the decision phase of purchasing. That's a great price, but how long it will last is anyone's guess.

placed my order last night. They said it shipped today.
    $40.00 shipping!
    I thought that was a bit high, UPS.
    But what are you going to do?