Thread: Removing Table Saw Extension . . .

Question Removing Table Saw Extension . . .

I have become cramped for space. I have a Delta X5 Contractors Saw with a 35" Biesemeyer.

Overall table is 55" X 27".

I have 20" left of the blade & 35" right of the blade.

If I remove the extension table I'll only have 10" right of the blade.

Considered cutting the extension table to match the left side.

I have and use a DEWALT Track Saw for ripping panels. Also have a 10" Mikita Miter Saw.

Any suggestions . . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Don't used either saw to cut the extension. )
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Only you can decide how small a table still leaves you a usable saw. If you find you only rarely care about that much table, forge ahead. I would be more inclined to build a smaller table and throw the original into storage somewhere in the event that I want to sell the saw someday.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Only you can decide how small a table still leaves you a usable saw. If you find you only rarely care about that much table, forge ahead. I would be more inclined to build a smaller table and throw the original into storage somewhere in the event that I want to sell the saw someday.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Building a smaller table sounds like a great idea . .

Only one problem . . . The rail will still be there . .

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by Steven DeMars; 03-15-2013 at 5:08 PM.
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Blog Entries
    Steel is pretty reasonable at a supply or surplus yard. I would be loath to cut my fence rails unless I plan to drive that particular saw to the tomb. Then it doesn't matter ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

iv got a euro slider . it comes with a 3 foot extention for the right hand side
    i use it ocasionally at full width but it was a dumping ground and the saw toke up loads of space.
    i too use a track saw . that removed the need for the table saw to cut 8 x 4 sheets so i removed the extention and cut the bar for the fence (i tried to buy a spare but coulnt )
    now i have about 18 " tot he right and the sliding carrage to the left

i can honestly say that it is one of the best things i did in the shop. it allowed me to put the saw in a position that i normally coulnt adn free up the whole space
    i went from a small one car garage size with only about 4 foot square in the middle to now having 8 foot square. the shop feels massive now . i could put in a few more machines if i wanted to

definetly take off the extention and see what happens. leave the fence rail for now and see if you need the extra width. i have never needed the full width that i have (18") let alone the extra i removed.
    the track saw does most of my cutting now. its only riping narrow pieces i use the table saw for now