Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decided not to build a lathe. Bought this instead.

So no playing in the cement,Oh Darn
    Think your going to have a ball just figuring out the operation of this thing.
    Have fun and keep us posted and pictures to.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I saw it up in Cleveland. I spent several days trying to justify buying it. I'm really glad you went for it. Please keep us all constantly posted. That is a very special lathe! Congratulations
    TB

Phase converter? or do you have three phase already. That baby is going to need some juice.

Dennis - I seem to remember several posts from you complaining about your Ridgid walking across the floor when you tried to spin an off balance blank. Do you think you may have over compensated just a little?

That's just a little jealousy speaking. You're going to have a ball with that monster.

Jeff

Congrats Dennis, don't think you're going to have to worry about vibration with this one. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Alright!!! Now that's what I call "old arn"! Sweet!
    David DeCristoforo

That's a mean-lookin' piece of iron. Congrats and enjoy!

30" is a big one. Looks like it is nice shape, too. I'm going to guess that it has good speed control already, but a vfd might help (assuming it is 3 phase). You would probably be able to find an owners manual over at owwm.org. Don't think there is one posted on owwm.com, but some of the members might email you one. There have been a few Oliver 20's posted there recently, and you may be able to find sources for tooling there. I am definitely envious. Those look like pretty incredible lathes, though I've not seen on in real life personally.
    Rob

Blog Entries
    My question: What size Morse Taper is that?
    Have a Nice Day!

Man, you're gonna be able to make some killer pens with that!

Congrats! And thanks for saving an old work horse...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Awesome find! Enjoy your new lathe.
    Hard to picture outgrowing that one.
    Rodney

Hi All. The lathe is resting comfortably in my garage. What a beast. It took 3 hours to drive there, then 3 hours to drive home, then 4 hours to unload it. Needless to say, we took our time. I am whipped and will post pix tomorrow. Cheers, D.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    Hi All. The lathe is resting comfortably in my garage. What a beast. It took 3 hours to drive there, then 3 hours to drive home, then 4 hours to unload it. Needless to say, we took our time. I am whipped and will post pix tomorrow. Cheers, D.
    Tomorrow? Why do tomorrow what needs to be done today? Congrats on the "new" lathe!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    10 hours well spent but this do not account for the hours that you took to load the lathe

Um, we are WELL into "tomorrow" and still no pics. You really know how to keep a guy (a GROUP of guys) on the edge of their seats, don't you?
    I drink, therefore I am.