Thread: Cherry w/oak stick inlay

Cherry w/oak stick inlay

I made this from a couple of the old roughouts I was given a while back. It's a small fruit cherry bowl roughout with one of the 1" thick round discs that were in the box for the top half. The inlay ring is small oak sticks glued in on end with coffee and CA in between them for filler. I cut the grooves to break things up where the two pieces of wood join. In one spot the grain lined up pretty good but in others it doesn't. They actually join in the middle lower groove. It's 6 x 2.75 inches.
    Cherry with oak stick inlay 3.jpgCherry with oak stick inlay 2.jpgCherry with oak stick inlay 1.jpg
    Whachathink?

I think I like it. Nice form and the detail really makes it. Well done.

Curt.....very nice! The cherry by itself would have been a little bland but the amount of detail you added with the right amount of contrast really gives it a feeling of class. Nicely done Sir!

What's your finish?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

4. Curt, that looks really nice, sure adds a lot of interest to the turning, I like your idea of gluing in the small oak sticks and then filling in, I have to try that, I hope mine comes out as nice as yours. What a neat idea.

the decorative stuff takes this up a notch..pleasing
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Very nice Curt, Cherry is one of my all time favorite woods. Just curious though, are there some small divots in the coffee CA area? If there are did you consider epoxy as a binder?

"The best things in life are not things."

I really like it. Great form and I love the different details!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I like it Curt. Are you buying your CA wholesale?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Just curious though, are there some small divots in the coffee CA area? If there are did you consider epoxy as a binder?
    James, when this idea was still rattling around in my head I was thinking I wanted a textured look to the ring. I used a coarse ground coffee so the coffee grains would show. But the ring is a little too small, the twig pieces a little too big, and so the gaps were too small for the coffee to pack down in as well as I would have liked resulting in the divots. I didn't use epoxy because I didn't want the plastic look it gives. I'm still trying to decide if I should grind a little coffee into dust and rub it into the divots with a little more CA, then refinish. But the lighting for the photo makes them much more visible than just looking at it sitting on the table so I'll probably leave this one as is.

Ken, this is finished with Antique Oil.

Doug, no I just get my CA from Vince's Wooden Wonders. There's really just a few drops if you can keep your hand steady when putting it on.
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 03-17-2013 at 10:05 AM.