Thread: Dyeing veneer

Dyeing veneer

Not sure if this is right branch of the forum...but here goes(please re-direct me if I've got it wrong)

I'm making some toys for my son. One of the books I'm using has these blocks that are sort of like dominoes. But instead of round dots, they have colored shapes on them. The colored shapes are thin veneers that are dyed then glued to the main block.

The author doesn't give a recommendation for the veneer, except for dimensions. I'm planning on using Rockler Trans-tint dye, as I've got a bunch of it around my shop. What I would like is a veneer that will take the color really well. I want these colors to be really vibrant, and fairly even. I know certain woods don't take stains or dyes very well, and some take it better. I'm just not sure which one to use. I've got a supply house nearby where I can get a pretty good variety of veneers.

What type of wood takes stain real well?

FYI the base blocks that the veneer is being glues to are going to be made from clear yellow pine scrap I had in my shop.

Maple.

John

I thought maple did not take stain well at all? When having some floors refinished-my flooring guys recommended against staining maple, as he said it did not absorb it well at all.

The place where I was looking to get the veneer has Basswood Flat Sawn, Birch White Rotary, or Maple White Rotary.

Transtint is a dye, not stain; completely different animal. The Transtint dyed wood specimens you see at Rockler, or at Jeff Jewitt's website, are done on maple. Whatever veneer you buy, I would advise you to buy flat sawn. Rotary cut is what is used to make cheap plywood and it looks unnatural - because it is.

John

if flatsawn is the way to go, I guess I should go with the basswood. I don't need any grain to show, the block will show plenty of grain. it is just getting a clear finish. the veneer shape I think I'd like to be sort of flat looking to contrast the other piece it is veneered to.
    Last edited by Kevin Guarnotta; 03-18-2013 at 8:28 AM.

Poplar stains well...