Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lathe sanding choices? Your quick recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Thanks John!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Vince's blue discs for power sanding (don't do much of that) and for sheets, I have found nothing to beat the cost/benefit of sandpaper from Online Industrial Supply. I use these AO sheets through 320, and these silicone carbide through 2000 grit. At about $.30/sheet, I tear them into 16 pieces on the edge of my TS, and store them in these bins. I have since rearranged the content of the bins, but I love this system.

On most forms, I will only use a couple of 150 squares, and one each of 220, 320 and 400 - a total cost of about $.10 per form. That really is a reasonable cost IMO. Online Industrial also carries the Norton 3X, but at a cost of 1/3 the Norton, I don't see how I could justify that difference. I would end up using the exact same number of 'partial sheets' in any event. I get an extremely good surface with the USA paper - no complaints.
    HI John, I have a question for you or anyone who would care to respond. I use to offer 3x5" sheet in BlueFlex. I can offer sheets either 9x11 or 3x5 in Blueflex or SC. Would you have preference? I have real nice 3x5 pads that are firm on one side and soft on the other and that is why I offered the 3x5" before. Send me a PM or email if you care too. Thanks, Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

John

Where did you get your boxes? I found them once but didn't buy them and having been kicking myself. I spent 10 min last night looking thru my grits to find some 400. I really should check my shavings pile because I know there is a can of Deft in there and my thickness tool....might find my package of 400 grit discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Nice set up John. I really need to get more organized like this.
    +1. Great idea John!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Sutherland View Post
    John

Where did you get your boxes? I found them once but didn't buy them and having been kicking myself. I spent 10 min last night looking thru my grits to find some 400. I really should check my shavings pile because I know there is a can of Deft in there and my thickness tool....might find my package of 400 grit discs.
    Chip, there is a link in my post for the bins. Is it possible you may have lost your drill press and tablesaw in the shavings pile???

Most hobby type stores have these for small item storage. Also a lot of fishing supply stores for small hooks ect. (that's how I found out about them).
    These are for my disc from Vince's (2" and 1" disc). Each "section" holds about 12-24 depending on thickness (grit).
    About $4 for a stack of four.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Thank you John, received the organizers today and got them mounted. I am going to like these, and will eventually take the panel to the bottom to add other stuff, like my Jeff Nicol steady that just kind of floats around the shop.sandpaper.org.baby 003.jpg Now I have a local friend and fellow Creeker who makes some really neat labels. Bill, ummm Bill, are you there?? Funny. when I try to call him I get the message " if your name is Ray sorry but we we have moved to Istanbul" anybody else have this problem? I think it must be something going on with his server!!

Looks great, Ray! I think it is a great system, but I do need to work on my labels. I used some paper ones that I think came with the bins, as I recall, but everytime I blow dust off the bins I blow off a label or two! Just need to spend a few minutes doing it a bit better. Ms. Keeton has a neat label maker, too, so I suspect that is the answer.

I bought a small toolbox for my Vince's Discs. Its wide enough for 2 side by side, I cut small cardboard dividers and number the back of each disc and divider. I have 10 grits and then some space for the foam backer pads. It stays closed / sealed so no dust and its portable. If I had better wall space, I'd use a set-up like John has, but this way, I can put it under my workstation easily.

Another possibility. This can hold 2" and 3" 'Vince disks'. About $15 at Home Depot. I do need to label the bins.
    .DSCF2651.jpg