Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost in the shavings

Lost in the shavings

My spur drive that is. I'll probably find it during spring cleaning, but if not, what is the best deal on a spur drive? Are the wood River spur drives OK? I'll go for the best some other time. Now I am just trying to be functional until the original shows up.

(Delta 46-460, #2 Taper)
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I came up missing a tool rest one time, it was one I made and it worked well. I had previously cleaned up all the shavings etc from the floor. I am a farmer so was using the tractor and loader to put the shavings in and then I drove out into a bean field [it was in the winter] to dump and scatter the shavings. About a year later I was out for a walk and came across the rest. It was ok except a little rust which I cleaned up. So you still may find it. good luck. Jared

3. The wood river spur drive is fine.....they are the same unit that CSUSA sells as their apprentice line, and PSI sells.......I would go through the pile of shavings before I would order one.......of course that is just me!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The magnetic base on my Moffatt lamps are great for fishing out metal pieces in the shavings. Of course, you have to know you dropped them first.

robo hippy

Yes, I am still looking. And it could be in the scoops of shavings that are on the lawn or have been discarded.

I love my Apprentice spur drive, much better holding than the one that came with my lathe, might be worth buying even if you do find the other one. Looks just like the WR.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

If its on the lawn your mower will find it!

I turned an ice cream scoop last night for the first time, dropped the bushing and took 40 minutes to find it. One positive, at least half of my turning area is now clean!

Lost a screw to the jaws on my scroll chuck in the shavings. I had a metal detector but the rebar in my concrete floor kept giving me false readings. I had to carry a shovel full at a time outside and spread it out and check. Over an hour later I found it. I now have spare screws and change the jaws on the work bench.
    Fred

Every shop should have a strong magnet. I've rustled one around in the shavings and found things that I didn't even know I'd lost

Do yourself a faver and get a steb center. I have a couple of sizes and think they're great.

Wally, I have one of the round ones on a wood handle and use it all the time.

I recently hauled off some curlies for a woodturner friend (I compost or burn them) and found one of his sanding pads when I dumped the bag.

The only problem I had with my spur drive is that it would act as a drill if I tried to use it on a bowl blank. I could see a two prong being helpful in that situation. How does a steb center improve on performance over a spur drive?

Brian, If you have a scroll chuck, you should consider the center that fits into you chuck. I got one several years ago and haven't used a spur center since
    They are larger in diameter so no "drill" and you don't need to to keep swapping spur drive/chuck.
    Tom

I have a cow magnet on a 24" flex rod just for digging into these situations! I store my "always used" stuff, centers, drill chucks, tail stocks, pencils and so on in the cage included on most bigger lathes. Fold it back and the slots are great for keeping stuff in.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Brian, I'm a little biased on this, but here goes. Forget about your spur. If you have a chuck, build yourself a Chuck Plate. You will find the article on the articles page, click on "Tools", and scroll down until you find my article, "Building a Chuck Plate". Unless you're doing small spindles, you won't miss your spur. Over the last 2+ years, I used my spur only because I was turning a small od handle, and my Chuck Plates' screw spacing was too much for the 3/4" od I was trying to turn.... My condolences to your spur......... Jerry (in Tucson)