Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can I use to rough cut high pressure laminate/formica to size?

I think you can do it on the bandsaw also.

Blog Entries
    +1 for the carbide scribe.

The table saw works as well, but some large pieces makes ne nervous.

Lay formica on your piece/s with an 1"/1.5" over hang on two sides. Use a router with flush trim bit and cut out on the other two sides. Now you have a piece that is 1-1.5" wider on each dimension. Be careful when you first start and end the plunge so you do not wonder in too far. Do that with all your pieces. For the sides, use a piece of scrap board a little longer than you need. Cut out strips a little wider than you need.

The simplest and quickest method is to score it 2 or 3 times from the back side with a utility knife and snap it. Just did some last night.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    The simplest and quickest method is to score it 2 or 3 times from the back side with a utility knife and snap it. Just did some last night.

Mike
    +1 - I just used a sharp utility knife and scored it deep enough to break. It doesn't matter if the cut line is rough or ugly since it will be routed flush anyway. Tin snips work well too.

TS is all I used, Cut to rough size, and then flush trim with a handheld router. Was not even a good flush trim bit lol.

Best investment - true J-roller.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks folks!

I used a tablesaw and it worked great!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Table saw works as has been said. Tin snips also, but you can easily cause an unintended crack. I prefer laminate shears, like tin snips with a double jaw on one side so they nibble out an 1/8" piece.

toolsplus_2254_509897410.jpeg

After 40 year, the easiest way I have found to cut laminate is a sheet of 3/4" or thicker styrofoam larger than the sheet of laminate & a track saw.
    Lay the styrofoam on a flat surface, lay the laminate on the styrofoam, set the blade depth about 1/8" below the laminate & cut away.
    Any carbide blade will work, but a triple chip carbide blade works the best.

10. I use mine with the diamond blade used for cutting ceramic tiles mounted on makita angle grinder. I made a jig mounted on the grinder where it only protrudes around 2 mm to cut the formica, it makes a clean cut...

I have always used a tin shears.