Thread: Dust exhaust for lathe?

Dust exhaust for lathe?

I am wondering about an inexpensive dust exhaust fan for the lathe. No imagination about eliminating dust or curlies - just some dust reduction while sanding.

There is a hole in the garage wall behind the lathe - about 10" x 14". I am looking at $40 to $200 solutions.

I am not starting from scratch. I have the Delta 50-760 dust collector attached to 4 power tool in the middle of the room, a Jet Air Filtration unit, a broom and a couple of shop vacs. I also wear a 3M half facepiece respirator. The Delta is too far away to run a duct efficiently to the lathe.

I do not like too much excess noise.

Any suggestion?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Looks good.

Go to your local HVAC company and ask to buy an old squirrel cage fan. It will move more air than anything else and you can usually snag one for $20-$40. Make sure the capacitor is still attached and you can wire on a 110v piece of electrical wire with a plug and plug it in where ever you want. I would suggest fastening a small section of rabbit fencing to keep sandpaper, rags or turnings from getting sucked into the fan! You could even make a "scoop" out of some sheet metal to get the intake right up to the lathe.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

The Squirre cage fan Scott refers to is commonly used in evaporative or swamp coolers...they move a ton of air but are very noisey!! They are commonly found at junk yards and HVAC places. Some BORGS may have them too. 40% of the homes in the Fresno metro area have these units. Our first house 15 years ago had one so I can attest to the noise first hand.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

How noisy is the Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector. I could exhaust outside instead of into the bags.

I use the 13 gallon HF dust collector mounted outside. I ran a 4" line through the wall. The DC is mounted on a covered platform. The noise I hear is primarily the air being sucked into the hose. It does a fine job of removing dust while sanding and cleaning up shavings.

When I first mounted it, it caused a vibration to the wall that resonated through the shop, so I modified the mounting with rubber to isolate the vibrations.

If you go this route I suggest you remove the grid guards on the input and output side of the DC. They can clog up quickly with shavings.

Box fan with an AC filter on the intake side
    Attached Images Attached Images