Thread: Unique versatile small shop workbench

Unique versatile small shop workbench

My original bench was a solid core door screwed onto a 2 X 4 frame screwed into the floor of my workshop. It met the basic requirements of a good bench - it was flat and it was secured (anchored down). 12 years of service left marks on it, so I decided to cover it with bamboo flooring.
    actionbench.jpg The bamboo has proven to be an excellent choice because I can glue projects on the bench and glue will not stick to the bamboo. I can paint and stain on it and once dry, paints and even stains come off with a light pass of a sharp chisel which will not harm the bench

I buried 2 pipe clamps into the old bench and under the bamboo flooring to serve as an end vise (I'm on a budget). Combine those with 2 t-tracks, I now have 80" of clamping options.

step1.jpgnewbench2.jpgP1010027.jpg A single vise on the other end allows me to pinch small pieces. The fence is a piece of bamboo and is ideal because it is only 1/2" in thickness so I can plane 3/4" stock without bumping the fence. I also made a 1/4" thick fence and a 2 inch thick fence.
    I always admired those fancy European benches with face vise and support legs to work the edges of long boards so I made one for my bench but it slides along the t-tracks and can be removed when not in use. My dovetail jig used to be a hassle to secure to the bench, but now it is permanently attached to its' own plywood base that can be added or removed to the bench in less then a minute. I also have a swivel vise and saw horses and even my hand screws can be secured to the bench and assist me in assembly work.

facevise.jpgswivel2.jpgsawhorse.jpgP1010021.jpg

To add just a few more pictures, here is the easy assembly using handscrews secured to the T-tracks. I also wanted to have the option of removing the bar clamps in the event I was going to lay a piece down which would be longer then my bench. I can remove or add the clamps in less then a minute and I can use the cavity to secure boards overhanging the bench by inserting a bar clamp in the cavity.

easy.jpgbarclamp.jpg

One last operation worth mentioning is the ability to pinch my work down on the bench using the flexible bamboo and it will not dent this piece of pine. Note that the bamboo fence is not only pinching down the board, it also serves as a guide or fence.

dadocuts.jpgdoorfit.jpg Here I'm fitting an inset door to a face frame using the clamping and t-tracks

Bernie, that looks like a very versatile bench. Many simple, but well thought out work holding devices tailored to your work. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
    Paul

great idea! very useful bench.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Blog Entries
    Tricked out bench there Bernie. Lots of clever ideas going on. The hand screws adapted for t-track really caught my eye.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I also like the look of the European benches, but this seems more versatile and quicker to build, I may have to borrow some of your ideas. Thanks for posting.

I'm happy to share these ideas with everyone - just keeping with the spirit of this forum. The only small problem I've ever had with this bench, I once had to apply so much force to my doings, that the t-track was slipping a bit. So I added another screw, like a double nut on a threaded bolt and problem was solved. This bench has outperformed my wildest expectations. I'll be glad to answer detailed questions.

Looking good. I have my eyes open for a used solid core. Let 3 or 4 get away about 5 years ago.

Habitat stores near me almost always have a few solid core flat surface doors in stock. I have bought a few of them for building work benches. Many are almost 2" thick, flat, and very heavy. Here they usually cost $30-75 depending on condition. I look for the ones with one side good and the other damaged because they are the cheapest and I only need one good side for making a bench. Put the good side up and you have a great, and cheap, work bench top. I usually also trim the width to remove the hinge and knob holes, which results in a 30-32" bench top from a 36" wide door.

Charley

Bernie, This is great! Well done! We're thinking about adding two more benches to the shop and this is inspiring. Looks like it would be super useful for portable power tool work like routing... Thanks for sharing!

This is probably the best example 't-track bench' I have seen! Thanks for inspiring us!
    -Brian

Bernie, what is the brand name of the pipe clamps you built in?

Bill - those are Irwin pipe clamps but I'm sure the pone ones would also work.

Art - any bench top tool can be permanently mounted on their own base and secured to the bench in a minute. I am just so pleased with the performance of this bench.
    Last edited by Bernie LeBlanc; 04-02-2013 at 8:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie LeBlanc View Post
    Bill - those are Irwin pipe clamps but I'm sure the pone ones would also work.
    I asked because they seemed to have a longer screw (and bigger handle) then the Pony.