Thread: Hammer A3 jointer table

Hammer A3 jointer table

The jointer tables on my A3 31 are rough...a bit like sandpaper. I spoke to Hammer service and they told me the roughness of the table is the biggest compliant they get and recommended some type of Felder product. I sprayed some Topcote on the table but didn't help too much...anyone else come up with a solution/product they are happy with?
    Otherwise the A3 works great!

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Hi Jim,

My A3-31 tables have what I'd call a texture to them but I don't notice any resistance when using them, versus my powermatic jointer which has a super smooth table. I use johnson paste wax on all my machines.

~mark

Jim, I use a a grey or red Scotchbrite pad under my orbital palm sander. Flood the table with WD40 or some similar cutting-type agent, then buff it out. That will knock down any "grain" in the surface. Strip the WD-40 off, then it is ready for paste wax. Hope this helps,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

The surface finish on the tables can vary quite a bit on these machines - they are milled rather than ground it looks like. Many report needing to smooth them to ease the feeding of the work over the surface.

Another slightly more aggressive option is to sand them with an orbital sander and 180G. finish with 320 or 400. Don't overdo it in any area - ensure a fairly regular treatment all over. Then a no silicone paste wax as Erik says.

ian

I just use paste wax on mine.........Rod.

Jim I just use paste wax on my A3-41 tables as well. I was reluctant to take a ROS to them. Hasn't been a problem for me.