Thread: wood saver bowl process

wood saver bowl process

I buy boxes of scrap exotic woods from a local outlet and have glued them togather to make various projects. I am new to turning and wanted to make a glue up to turn into a bowl. Not wanting to waste this exotic wood I came up with a method to get multiple bowls from one glued up block. I started with a glued up plank 9"X 19", I cut this in two and glued the two pieces together rotating 90 deg. This resulted in a block 8 1/2" in x 8 1/2" In X 2 1/2" high. I layed out circles, decreasing each dia. by 1 1/2". This resulted in four circles, the smallest about 4". I cut the block in half and than cut the half circles. I than glued the half circles together. I than glued up another plank and glued it to the bottom of the circles, making 4 bowl blanks from the original block. I than turned them into what I call busy bowls. I will try to attach pics. Sorry I was not able to navigate attaching pictures , but I hope this is useful.

Interesting approach. I'm sure the same could be accomplished without halving the circles. Drill a pilot hole, then use a jig, or scroll saw.

I am not sure about the technique, but it sounds like it would work. I would not turn the wood 90 degrees before glueing it though. It seems like you are just daring it to come apart due to wood movement.

Segmented turning is similar to what you are trying. What has been found in that process is that having crossed grain is an invitation to failure.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

As I mentioned, I am new to turning. This is my secound post. I have received only negative comments. I guess my input is just not up to the standards of the this forum. No encouragement to be found here.

Hi Chuck. I would not take the comments that way. Everyone here is really helpful and are always looking out for the best interest of other turners. I like your approach and think it is a good way to minimize waste as well as ending up with a cool looking piece. Post pix if you have any.

I am buying a shop press this week to use for glue ups. It is easier than using all sorts of clamps.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

I apologize, Chuck. We jumped right in to improvements on your techniques.
    So welcome! It is great to hear what you are doing and we love the pictures !

What kinds of wood are you using in your exotic mix?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Apology accepted. However I do not understand why cross grain is subject to failure. Maybe on single poeces but in my application It seems to methat it would be like plywood. However I am going to try it with all the grain in one direction Chuck V.