Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baileigh Industrial "build us a box" Woodworking Contest, Win $1,600 !!!!!!

1. Not quite as much progress today as I'd wanted, but at least the sides are cut and dadoed, so tomorrow can do the work on the latch setup.

baileighBox_wip9.jpg

Cant really see it in the above picture, but there's a very shallow (1/42" or so) groove 1.75" tall around the bottom half that I'm going to inlay some figured veneer and maple/walnut pinstriping in. Still debating which veneer exactly I'm going to use, but probably B from below. Just figured I needed to do something to dress up that plain walnut a bit
    veneers.jpg

All of these look like they're going to be Great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Can't wait to see some of the other entries. I worry about those of you keeping it a secret. Kathy, are you still in the mix?
    Bill, you could say I'm still in the mix. With the 3 boxes in process that have been posted, it looks like so far I'm a shoe-in for 4th place .
    I forgot to take any progress pics of mine and all that's left to do is finish up the finish and then I'll post it.

Maybe I can talk Baleigh into offering a boobie prize for last place .
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Blog Entries
    Man, you are all doing absolutely fantastic jobs!!! The Labyrinth is truly a work of art, well done Matt. I'm going to have to work every night til the end to even stand a chance. What an awesome contest.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I'm going to have to work every night til the end to even stand a chance.
    And here I was thinking the exact same thing

Finger grip for the front of the top, just dipped in Envirotex Lite epoxy-like clear coating and set aside to cure.

S6305955.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks good Dick, did you do that by hand?

Thanks. I cut the bottom on the CNC, cut the sides on the bandsaw, and shaped the top on the disc sander. I have one more part yet to make, for what goes inside the box.

8. Sweet! Keep em' comin'
    Shane Henderson
    Baileigh Industrial Woodworking
    920-482-3220
    shenderson@baileighindustrial.com

Visit our sponsored forum here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...2-Baileigh-Inc

Blog Entries
    I have to build my base, my wood hinge and finish the inside. Then on to the hard part, the finish.

Yes, finish - I've been thinking about that for my project. Been kicking around a few ideas, but I think I'm settled on what I will be doing.

11. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) due to a few unscheduled short-timeline orders I'll be unable to participate. The examples here are both amazing looking so far and are indicative of the high level of skill here on the site.

Good luck to you all

Lawrence

Blog Entries
    Last night I got started on the base of mine, dug out the guillotine to make my miters exact. This tool is fun but also intimidating, I have visions of a finger slipping into its path. It's good to have thoughts like that though, keeps you alert. Also here's a shot of the lid sittling on the box, the finish will darken it up and make it pop. I'll take the good camera home this weekend and get some better pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-20-2013 at 2:53 PM.

Bill, I've never heard of a machine like your guillotine. Please tell me more.

Blog Entries
    It's used for making picture frames, it's called a miter trimmer. There are a few on the market but I got it from Grizzly. It was 1/2 what others were asking. Here's a pic of the whole thing. A little scary looking, you expect to see someones head falling off the back of it.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-20-2013 at 7:05 PM.

15. got the inlay banding trimmed and sanded flush, and spent most of the day fiddling with the latch bits. *almost* have them ready to be fully assembled into place I think. They seem to be working ok as I hold things together by hand anyway, so just have to hope they continue to work once its assembled glued together when I cant really tweak things further. Still need to add the push button to the outside for this, so its not yet 100% on appearance, but getting close (and ignore the gaps, pieces are just sitting together).

baileighBox_wip11.jpg