Quote Originally Posted by Art Brazee View Post
It's not the lathe. I've got a big powermatic and there's no runout. I've got solid tool control; handle on hip, hip moving the tool. I'd go for this answer, but I've tried to resolve things this way. It could be though...I'll try anything.
Art, how new is this big Powermatic? I'm asking because if you aren't the original owner, someone could have done something to it earlier in it's life that wouldn't be detected. I had the same problem before with a Delta Homecraft I bought used in '83. It was complete with a Delta motor and step pulley. All I did was mount it to a bench, and turn it on. I had this one spot that always left tearout, was never completely balanced, and I couldn't figure it out. It wasn't until 2009 that I just happened to be looking at the motor pulley as it was winding down and saw the pulley was out of round. It turns out that the motor has a 1/2" arbor, the pulley has a 5/8" hole, and the bushing was about 1/2" x 9/16". There were no problems after I corrected things.... Jerry (in Tucson)