Thread: Woodie ID - G.N. Delap?

Woodie ID - G.N. Delap?

I found this plane at and antique mall this weekend and brought it home. Wondering if anybody can identify it's age and origin? It is stamped "G.N. DELAP" on the toe and heel. I'm not sure if this is a maker or owner's mark (I've never seen a maker stamp the heel). 22" long. Blade is laminated, stamped Buck Brothers and looks full length, possibly never sharpened based on the machining marks. The plane body shows signs of use (finger and palm marks worn through the finish) but was obviously well cared for. There is a brass bolt through the tote that looks original.

Only needed a honing and is now performs admirably as a try plane.

Any insights appreciated. Thanks!

Jared

Attachment 262166Attachment 262167Attachment 262169Attachment 262170

Blog Entries
    Jared,

For some reason your images are not opening for me.

My attachment may appear as I was hoping to try something to make your open.

jtk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hm, your pics don't show up for me, I just see

Attachment 262166Attachment 262167Attachment 262169Attachment 262170
    Anyway, I didn't find Delap in the Pollak book. Like you, I've never seen a maker's mark on the heel, so I believe that was just a previous owner.

Ah, there's the pics. Wow, if there ever was a mark on the toe under the owner's name, it's much too faint now. Maybe one of our woodie aficionados can identify via some detail or other, like the brass screw on the tote?

It looks like my Nurse plane. The iron says Buck,I'm pretty sure. It is a late 19th. Early 20th.C. plane from the way the edges are rounded,not beveled. Interesting brass screw in the tote. Original,or added later? Looks original to me,but it is the first I've ever seen like it.