Thread: Overstrike (ghosting) Problem

Overstrike (ghosting) Problem

I have a recently developed text ghosting problem on anodized aluminum - random places on table and random positions in a short line of text. I have cleaned all optics, checked for binding in X-axis mechanism. This is on an older TrotecIMG_0017.jpg Speedy 1 which has been working perfectly for several years. Any ideas pls?
    Trotec 25W Laser, ShopBot PRT Alpha 48 x96 CNC, Roland Vinyl Cutter, Compucarve CNC, Ricoh GXe7700s Dye-sub printer, Hotronix Clamshell Heat Press, Pad Printing Equip, all normal woodworking and electrical tools.

Looks like it's splitting the beam to me. I know you said you have checked your optics, but have you looked at them with a magnifying glass? You might do that and make sure there's not some pit or flaw in the lens (or mirror). That looks like a classic splitting of the beam to me, but having said that, I've had it happen on our Universal and it ended up being the driver. I reloaded the driver and it fixed the problem. So I'd start with optics inspection, and then reinstall the driver, and if neither fix it, it's outside my limited knowledge.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Looks like it's splitting the beam to me. .
    That's what it looks like to me, too. And since it seems to come back
    together as the head moves to the right, that tells me I should look
    in the flying head for a crack or chip in the lens. But I don't have
    that machine, so it is just a guess on my part.

I had the same problem with my Universal once and it was a worn out belt that was slipping slightly. It was only really noticable on thinner fonts or lines.
    Universal laser 30 watt. It's an oldie but a goodie.
    IS700 For flat work.
    IS400 Cylindrical as well as flat work.
    V3400 Cylindrical.
    Concept 2000 Yeah baby!
    Corel Draw - Illustrator - Photo Shop - Flexi

I'm also a graphic designer.

Thanks for the inputs. I was thinking it was an electronic or laser tube issue because of the double firing. I would think if it was a mechanical issue I would get a shifting or sliding of the text, not a double strike. But I will take the x-axis apart and see if there is wear in the belt, bearings, etc.
    Trotec 25W Laser, ShopBot PRT Alpha 48 x96 CNC, Roland Vinyl Cutter, Compucarve CNC, Ricoh GXe7700s Dye-sub printer, Hotronix Clamshell Heat Press, Pad Printing Equip, all normal woodworking and electrical tools.

I had the same issue 10 years ago. It turned out the Cog gear on the X-beltr, which is glued in place on the spline had broken loose. And no matter what glue I used LockTite, LiquidMedal etc. It would not hold. Ordered a new drive gear and the problem was fixed. Look for play on the drive gear.....

It is the gear assembly that the belt drives not the motor itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Sipes; 05-15-2013 at 4:40 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Thanks Mark, I Will look at the gear assy when I take the drivetrain apart tomorrow.

From looking at the picture, I don't think this is a random effect. It appears that the text is OK in the center of engraving where it is engraving at higher speed but quite poor towards the edge when it is engraving at lower speed. I believe the K1 factor in the software needs to be adjusted. Proper adjustment of this allows the system to engrave properly regardles of the head speed. PM me and I will send you a procedure to verify this and do the adjustment.
    Jon Colley
    Trotec Canada

Pete;
    Check for a loose lens or mirror and insure the beam path is perpendicular to the table.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts

Thanks George and Jon - PM sent to you Jon

I have had the same problem with my ULS, the problem was faulty USB port.
    500W Fiber Laser, Tekcel VLS CNC Router, Roland GX-640

Ever find out what the problem is/was ??
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw