Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A neander-haul

Good start! But watch out, it is a mighty slippery slope you be a-standing on....SDC14959.jpgDon't ask me how I know this......

As Steve said, you're off to a good start. I would caution you against buying Stanley planes form the 60's, however. They were not as well made (IMHO) as the earlier models. Get yourself a 78 (rabbeting plane), a shoulder plane and a few pairs of hoolows & rounds and you'll be set for quite a while. Have Fun!!!

I do not know how to date Stanley planes. My block plane has on the top of the blade in an arc "Stanley Rule & Level Co." and "New Britian, Conn. U.S.A." underneath the company name.

Be careful with the transitional planes. Wood can warp in various directions, more easily/dramatically than metal. I once owned a 28" jointer plane, really nice except for the fact that it was twisted over its length. I joke that it was optimized for shaping airplane propellors, though I'm not sure it was twisted in the correct direction. I could have removed the metal and planed it down bottom and top to be smooth - but it would have been much, much thinner...and, anyway, what would I have used to plane it?

The 26" is nice and flat on sole and sides. Checked before buying. The 20" shows a thin sliver of light in a couple of places when putting a straight edge to the sole, less than 1/8" maybe 1/16".

Your fore plane doesn't need to be flat, it is for rough work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pugh View Post
    I do not know how to date Stanley planes. My block plane has on the top of the blade in an arc "Stanley Rule & Level Co." and "New Britian, Conn. U.S.A." underneath the company name.
    Its really difficult to date the block planes, but the description of the stamping on the iron tells me its very, very old.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pugh View Post
    Here is a listing of some of the Stanley trade marks with dates. I do not know if this is all of the trade marks Stanley used.

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/stantms.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    but didn't think i need a 20", a 22", and a 26" plane.
    blasphemy!

but watch out, it is a mighty slippery slope you be a-standing on....
    A Lot of Planes 9.1.09.jpg

And it just keeps growing!

Some of these have moved on, but more than have left have moved in.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice finds...I need to now find myself some rabbiting planes....

On the underside of the lever cap of the Stanley block plane is the number 1146. Also found that the 20" transitional plane is a Fulton and the 26" is a Union. I almost have the blade of the coffin plane cleaned up enough to see the manufacture.

There's somewhat of a type study for Stanley block planes here: http://virginiatoolworks.wordpress.c...ne-type-study/

And I have assumed, pending finding out I'm wrong, that the maker stamp at the top of the plane iron is the same on the bench planes as on other planes. There's a nice visual to the plane iron markings here: http://www.rexmill.com/ (follow the "type study" link at top right of the screen).