Thread: It Happens...

Red face It Happens...

A couple of weeks ago at our monthly turning club meeting, I had a small Walnut roughed out HF with a few voids that was used in an Inlace demo. I was going to finish the piece and then bring it back to our next meeting for Show & Tell.

I went through the extra step of sanding the interior – which I usually do not do – because knowing it would be passed around at the club meeting, I wanted it to be a nice example of what I turn.

The hollowing went great and I had the piece down to a consistent 1/16” across the top. Problem came when I touched it with sandpaper. There was a very small void and somehow the sandpaper grabbed it…
    It Happens v1.jpg It Happens v2.jpg It Happens v3.jpg

Walnut, 6" diameter x 3.5" high x 1/16 thick on top! (152 mm dia x 89 mm high x 1.58 mm thick on top) Still has the tenon on it - so had to use a stand to take photos.

And it is still going to the meeting for Show & Tell!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve, there are terms of expression customarily used in these situations, but most are not appropriate for use here on the creek!!!! At the very least, this one has gained you patience - though your disposition is far better in that area than is mine.

3. Too thin! I know so many think thin is the cats meow, but a another 1/16th on this one would have totally avoided the catastrophe.........then what fun would that be, anyway!

Beautifully done, Steve.........I still believe that 1/8" is thin enough for most things!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

In my best Maxwell Smart imitation "Missed it by THAT much!" Love the turning and good for you for sharing your experience.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwro...yer_detailpage

Steve
    Like you said it happens but it still makes you wonder why we do this to ourselfs. Just a couple of hairs thicker, yea right.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Steve, thanks for sharing that. It should be said that there are two kinds of turners who turn for many many years...ones who have done that...and those that will.

I'm just curious, what was stuck inside that to sand with? pretty tough entry angle looking at that form to get to where it broke through.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Whoops!!! They can't all be perfect... It's a beautiful shape!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Shoot, darn, dang and rats!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Tim - I used a small forceps to hang onto a small piece of sandpaper.

Going through the side of a form while hollowing, while discouraging, at least is somewhat expected when turning really thin. To have a piece of sandpaper grab a small corner of a void... well, that was a surprise! Oh well...
    Steve

Steve,

Just wanted to thank you for reminding us all that despite all of the beautiful work you and the other more experienced folks here on the Creek post here, you still have mishaps similar to that us less experienced folks run into.

That said the form is quite nice.

I look forward to seeing the results of a creative repair/save =-)

Rich.. thanks for the laugh! This piece is going to the next Turning Club meeting as is. The guys there have to have something to poke fun at me about!
    Steve

Steve
    A good natured ribbing should make for a very enjoyable meeting.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

The form is really nice, Steve. Too bad about the "grab". I have often found it precarious to re-work a HF. Good effort, though! (for what that's worth)

Thats too bad. It was a nice piece. Last weekend I had sand paper grab some bark in an inclusion in a burl bowl. The bark is gond and I was glad I left the bowl thicker than I normally would.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author