Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any updates on the Veritas shooting board plane?

The Veritas/LV shooting plane promises to become the leader. I first saw the plastic model in January at the factory, possibly the same one that was at the show. A significant advantage over the LN #51 is that the Veritas is a BU design with a low bed, thus achieving a lower cutting angle.

All that aside, my intention was to comment on a hotdog handle for the LV LA Jack. I designed and built two versions some years ago. The first version was solid wood made with hand tools. The second was laminated and machine-made, more precisely fitted and attached. These are on my website. http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ck%20pics.html

The point I wanted to make is that they are unnecessary. If you use the correct hand hold with the LV LA Jack then it is easier to push and more controllable than with a hotdog.

I wrote up a comparison of the LN #51, LV LA Jack and the LN #9 shooting planes on both ramped and vertical shooting boards. Go to my website for the full article. http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...sCompared.html Below is an excerpt that explains what to do ...

The Ease of Use

The #51/52 combination was in a class of its own. Even a novice could easily produce clean edges without fail. The #51 is captured by the rails of the #52, and this guides the plane so that all the user needs do is push the plane forward.

The advantage of the #9 over the LAJ is twofold: there is better registration for the base of the plane, and this encourages a user to push the plane in the ideal manner. When a novice was given the choice of the #9 and the LAJ, they would inevitably plump for the #9. However … when the user was taught how to push the LAJ, and/or the LAJ was used with a hotdog handle, very frequently this choice was reversed. The factor here is that the LAJ is potentially more tippy because it has a smaller footprint, it. I recall one person thrusting the LAJ forward .. and bouncing it against the fence at a canted angle.

The correct way (in my opinion) of holding the LAJ (and shooting planes generally), is to exert downforce at a central point while simultaneously exerting low lateral sideforce. One must not attempt to simply push the plane against the sidewall to the shooting board. This will unbalance the plane and cause it to cant over.

Downforce is applied by the thumb directly into the dimpled fingerhole. Sideforce is applied by the four fingertips pushing from under the levercap.

This handhold is quite comfortable and makes the LAJ a practical user without a hotdog. Indeed, there is the potential for someone to grasp a hotdog (whether on the LV or LN LAJ planes) and attempt to push it against the fence from high (and not use their fingers to maintain sideways pressure from low).

Contributing to “tippiness” is the amount of “run up” to the board that is used. Many – both experienced and novices alike – would draw the plane back to the start of the runway, and then push it forward fast in an attempt to create momentum, as if this was necessary to power through the end grain. Shooting in this manner would lead to user losing control of the plane.

What is necessary for control is minimum run up. Place the plane with the blade nearly touching the near edge of the board, and then simply push the plane forward, with even pressure and firmly. Since the shaving removed is very fine, a plane with a sharp blade will cut without much effort. Once this was understood, the extra mass of the LAJ was an advantage over the more stable #9.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek.

I am thinking of using an old Stanley #6 for this. Should I just glue a piece of rubber onto the side of the plane to give a better grip?

Alternatively I also have a Veritas LA Smoother with all three blades (50, 38 and 25).
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    Hilton,

My plane of choice for shooting board use was an old #6. The link in my previous post shows my progression in making a comfortable grip for its use.

Shortly after that an LN #62 was purchased to be my shooting plane because of an old shoulder injury. The low angle of attack helps to keep my shoulder's pain level down.

Occasionally the #6 still gets used if a piece needs shooting that is too wide fort he 2" blade of the #62.

The biggest stumbling block to any plane on a shooting board is the practice of using staples in the end of lumber to attach the UPC labels.

If you hear a little "tick" when shooting, stop and check before too much damage is done to the blade's edge. DAMHIKT!

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-30-2013 at 1:01 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Rob Lee had a prototype of it at HandWorks last weekend. Sounds like later this year for release. I didn't get many particulars - he was an understandably popular guy
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is a post on Woodcentral where Mr. Lee replies to a request for specs on their shooting plane. No price yet, but good information.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

467432_1.jpg

Quoting Rob Lee

"
    Some shooting plane stats:
    • Length: 15-7/8”
    • Base width: 2-1/8” (to fit Stanley #52 shooting board)
    • Blade: 2-1/4” wide, bevel up, 25° bevel angle. O1 or PM-V11. All of our standard 2-1/4” bevel up blades will fit this plane.
    • Bed: 12° bed angle, skewed 20°
    • Blade Adjustment: Typical Veritas “Norris” type adjuster, three set screws to precisely locate the blade, and rock the blade forward/back to adjust square
    • Mouth opening: adjustable toe piece with adjuster screw
    • Weight: 7-3/4 lbs
    • Rear tote: adjustable for angle. Plane can be used with the blade down for jointing. "
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    The new planes were mentioned on the FWW podcast, and here is a link to their article about it. LOVE the new shooting plane, and the chisel plane is nice too. I will certainly buy the shooting plane. I like the LN chisel plane because it's bronze, but if you tally up my collection of planes, so far Veritas is winning 4 to 1. Veritas- could we get some bronze versions? Us folks in the tropics would really appreciate that. It's a hard choice for sure on the chisel plane. I really like the set screws and the depth adjustment looks easy to use.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...e-for-shooters

I got a sneak peak and a little play time with one the shooters today! All I can say is if they would have let me, I would dropped the cash on the spot and ran home giggling! Man it is a sweet unit!!! I am now losing my mind waiting for the release...

A few more sneaky ones ...

More later ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek....I see that the LV shooter has arrived in Perth.....it couldn't be in better hands.....I and many more are awaiting your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    They're probably too busy watching the senators right now to move anything along. It seems like every time around this year, it comes down to good (penguins) vs. evil (senators).

OK, I say that in jest. Evil is really the capitals and the flyers and their respective fans.
    If your a Penguins fan, my respect grew all the more. they can play some Hockey!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    A few more sneaky ones ...

More later ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Okay okay Derek, despite my recent discussion on something like the no. 9 or my LA Jack having more appeal to me then those big honkin' shooters, I'll admit, you got me with those shots . Both those shooters do look pretty sweet. I'll have to make it back out to an LN show again this year and give the 51 a go again. Hopefully an LV booth will show up somewhere near me this year too so I can give that a go as well. Blast you Mr. Cohen!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...