Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where / How do you store your jigs?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Any good ideas on how to store miter gauges?
    Pullout panel / Fence rail support.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Perfect. One of the things I have to store is an Incra Miter 1000HD.

OK. Bumping my own thread.

I finally got around to installing an overhead hoist to lift up my Table Saw sled.

It's a Woodhaven Large Cut-Off Sled. A very nice sled, but it's about 60 lbs of dead weight. Always gets my attention dragging across my workshop, plus it takes up a ton of space.

I've been wanting to come up with a way to store it from the ceiling, but get it readily accessible when I need it. I thought of using one of those inexpensive HF electric hoists. I finally got around to installing it.

Overhead-Table-Saw-Crosscut-Sled-Hoist.jpgOverhead-Table-Saw-Crosscut-Sled-Hoist-2.jpg

I still have lots of other jigs, and no wall space left, and pretty well no ceiling space left either.

Still, at least I can drop this down to the table saw without hurting my back, and lift it out of the way when I don't need it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

My garage has an 11 foot ceiling. I built a rack that looks like a ladderer except the rungs are 2 foot long 1 1/4 inch dowels and they are only spaced about 6 inches apart. I hung it from the ceiling. I built a jig to bend hooks to fit over the rungs and that have a leg to poke through a hole in the jig. It all fits above the garage door. When the door is open the rack is pretty well concealed. If my wife ever looks up when the door is closed, I'm going to have to find alternate storage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    OK. Bumping my own thread.

I finally got around to installing an overhead hoist to lift up my Table Saw sled.

It's a Woodhaven Large Cut-Off Sled. A very nice sled, but it's about 60 lbs of dead weight. Always gets my attention dragging across my workshop, plus it takes up a ton of space.

I've been wanting to come up with a way to store it from the ceiling, but get it readily accessible when I need it. I thought of using one of those inexpensive HF electric hoists. I finally got around to installing it.

Overhead-Table-Saw-Crosscut-Sled-Hoist.jpgOverhead-Table-Saw-Crosscut-Sled-Hoist-2.jpg

I still have lots of other jigs, and no wall space left, and pretty well no ceiling space left either.

Still, at least I can drop this down to the table saw without hurting my back, and lift it out of the way when I don't need it.
    Wow, that is a sled and a half, requiring a hoist to position it. Cool. I really wish I had room and money for a TS dedicated to my main sled so I didn't have to lug it on and off.

Yeah. between the extruded aluminum and 3/4" MDF it weighs a ton. Makes my homemade dado sled look like a joke in comparison.

OK, so I've taken care of Moby Dick. Now just need to find spots for the other jigs.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Sean...nice idea and execution. I will adopt it for my shop

So, where do you store your fence while using that humongous sled?

I store my UniFence on a full length shelf that's about 6" below the top of my outfeed table. It is inserted from the end. Trying to hang it on either side of my saw interfered with other things.

The crosscut fence for my Jessem slider fits in a holder on the back side of the Unisaw. This works because the top of the out feed table extends 8" or so beyond its base, which is on wheels.

Any other fence storage ideas?

Rick Potter

Right now, my fence gets stored on the floor when using the crosscut sled.

I have built-in infeed and outfeed tables on my table saw, so I don't have the ability to store the sled in the saw cabinet itself.

DSC_8502.jpg

This is a picture of it extended. The blocks with the roller balls get removed, but the sliding mechanism would get in the way of fence storage. And the right side is taken up by the router table, and the left side is inaccessible. So I'll entertain any good idea for that too.