Thread: 100 Year Oak in Red with Gold

100 Year Oak in Red with Gold

This one (10" across) was dyed with Transit Red mixed with alcohol. Same process as the black one posted the other day. Mixed the Pearl-Ex sparkling gold with Johnson paste wax to fill the pores. Couple coats of lacquer. Question; which one do you like: black and silver white, or red and gold? Critiques and comments always welcome.

IMG_3190.jpgAttachment 263895IMG_3202.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I think I like the red /old treatment a bit more. It like the warmth of the piece a bit more. Bit when you get right down to it, both are great looking and the concept clearly works. Are there some other combinations that you are thinking of trying? I can see a deep blue and silver combination? Deep green and gold? It is the kind of thing that I can see different combination might appeal to different folks or at different times of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Carroll View Post
    I think I like the red /old treatment a bit more. It like the warmth of the piece a bit more. Bit when you get right down to it, both are great looking and the concept clearly works. Are there some other combinations that you are thinking of trying? I can see a deep blue and silver combination? Deep green and gold? It is the kind of thing that I can see different combination might appeal to different folks or at different times of the year.

You beat me to it. Yes the next will be a blue with probably silver. I do have some other metalics. but the silver just has to look good with blue. Thanks for the comments.

Personally, I like the red better. Here is the stereo system I've been building for years. You can see I like red as evidenced by the red midrange horns.

Do or do not, there is no try.

Red is my favorite color. Although I usually don't like dyed/painted turned wood, your's is the bomb.........Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Bob. I have done several black and white oak pieces so probably lean in that direction but the red and gold is pretty neat too. Orange transtint and black might be another color combo to try for fall.

Looks great Bob!
    I think they both look good. The white and black seemed to pop a little more with the higher contrast, but I agree with Dan that the red add a nice warmth to the piece.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Bob I think you are on a roll. I like the red and the black just about equal. Have you tried doing the color thing thing on ash, it looks great.
    Fred

Really hard to choose between the two. Both color combinations are gorgeous, but I lean towards the black. Lots of good ideas for color combinations and different types of wood to use. Can't wait to see your next project!

Bob I got a question on technique. Do you fill the pores with wax prior to applying the lacquer or after?

Bill,
    i do seal the color with two coats of lacquer prior to applying the wax. This helps keep the Pearl- Ex from getting into the fibers of the wood. After applying the mix of Pearl -Ex and wax into the open pores, I will gently rub off any excess wax with steel wool. Lastly I spray a couple coats of lacquer after letting the wax cure for a day.

I think both colors are really very neat I like them both. I didn't think you would be able to put lacquer or any other finish over the wax even if it is only in the pores. I learned something new today. Wally

The lacquer seems to melt through the thin coat of wax. I use Johnson paste wax. I not sure about cristalin wax like Renasonce Wax. I also use Mohawk Lacquer. It builds quite fast and flows out to a very smooth finish.

Thanks Bob, I had the same concern as Wally. I would have been reluctant to apply lacquer over the wax. I'll do some test pieces.

Cool looking peice Bob. Going to have to give that a try.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.