Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How many routers do you own?

I could stand naked in the shower, and still not be able to count my routers. Only bought one new, and it was on a close out.

Ok that was some pretty good reading and put me in a better mood today. Been in a bad mood past few days and needed to get on here to feel better. House was broken into Wednesday and 15k worth of stuff stolen. Luckily no tools taken, just the really expensive TV's and jewelry.

So won't be buying any routers anytime soon but hopefully next month I can start. Looks like for a tool junkie, I'm a little far behind.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    Oh ya. Wireless router. 2 of them. For the computer
    It was only a matter of time......

Good one.

Me, I've concluded I'm under routered, and I'm embarking on a mission to correct that.

This will be a multi year endeavor. But I will eventually achieve routerness.

Is there public funding for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    It was only a matter of time......

Good one.

Me, I've concluded I'm under routered, and I'm embarking on a mission to correct that.

This will be a multi year endeavor. But I will eventually achieve routerness.

Is there public funding for this?
    Knowing me, it will only be a month endeavor. I don't like to procrastinate...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    House was broken into Wednesday and 15k worth of stuff stolen.
    Well if you catch them, send them my way. A little of my router therapy will make them talk.

Bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Well if you catch them, send them my way. A little of my router therapy will make them talk.

Bastards.
    If I catch them, noone will ever know.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    If I catch them, noone will ever know.
    Mum's the word.

I don't remember having this many...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    It's a sickness, somebody stop me. I can count 21, but I think there are more hiding somewhere. I have gotten a lot of cheapies off CL for single duty. Sure is handy. See my recent post on $105 worth of routers.

Unsigned, no one will ever figure out who I am.

21?! I like having you around Rick... you make me look normal!

After a quick recount; I have thirteen. But like others here, many are set up for dedicated purposes. Two in router tables, one in the multi-router, two for the Akeda dovetail jig, two Colts with frequently used round-over bits, a Porter Cable 310 in a Micro-Fence plunge base. A couple extra PC 310's purchased when they were being discontinued. A PC 890 when Home Depot had them on-sale at about 1/2 price. And a couple other Bosch routers for just general purpose.

Scott in Montana

Okay..

1. Festool 2200
    2. Festool 1400
    3. Festool 1010
    4. Festool 700
    5. Porter Cable 7518 ( Jessum lift )
    6. Porter Cable 7518 ( spare )
    7. Porter Cable 690 ( Jessum Lift )
    8. Porter Cable 690 Spare
    9. Milwaukee ( Multi Router )
    10. Porter Cable Trim Router
    11. Hitachi 1/4" Router JM8 ?
    12. Makita 1/4" Plunge Router
    13. Bosch Colt ( needs repair )

Hmm.. I might sell some routers..

12-1/2 if you include the extra base for the 1617. Not including the Roto-Zip and the Dremel with the StewMac plunge base.

Only Two, hitachi for hand work and Milwaukee in router table. I want a small on for trim work....most likely a festool version.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I have three, and most of the time, I use two - 2 1/4hp hitachi dedicated to the table, 3hp hitachi for hand held plunging and mortising, and an old dw610 that doesn't get a lot of use, but is handy to have when I want to do an extra setup without tearing down the first two. I'm quite happy with this arrangement.

Festool 2200 (my hands down fav)
    Dewalt 2 hp (dedicated to Leigh FMT)
    Two Bosch 2 hp (both with plunge and fixed bases)
    Porter cable 2 hp (least fav)
    Porter cable 3 hp (dedicated to router table)
    Makita laminate trimmer.

I guess that makes 7. If I was starting over, I'd keep the porter cable for the router table, and get the full line of festool routers, starting with the 2200. For me the festool routers are worth the money for their superior dust collection, accessories, and ease of switching from one mode of operation to the next.

7 but I think I done. Smoking deals off CL, basically new set-ups that were had for someone else's Xmas or Birthdays that they never used...my general rule is pay nothing over $75...and it works. All Bosch except one Dewalt and one Freud plunge.

I currently have 5 routers. Last summer I sold the first one I ever bought, a Sears Craftsman machine. I had been using it as a special purpose machine. It was setup to cut dovetails. That dropped me back to 4.

The remaining 4 are a Makita 3601B, a Bosch 1617EVS, a PC 7539 plunger, and a PC 890 series with plunge and fixed base.

Due to it's knuckle busting collet the Makita is now my dovetail router. That means 1/2" 1/2 blind dovetails using the Sears dovetail template. Great for drawers. The motor from the Bosch is now in a lift in my router table.

I recently acquired a Festool OF 2200 to take the place of the PC 7539. The issue there is that the base on the 7539 is not centered on the collet and it has no provision to adjust it to be. That makes using a guide collar with it a big problem. Since I couldn't know with any certainty where the bit was going to come down while using a guide collar I got the Festool router. Festool's sales literature claims that when you use an accessory guide collar with it that it is automatically centered. After using it that way, I'd say that claim is probably true enough.

At this time I don't know what I'm going to do with that PC 7539. Except for that guide collar issue it's a good router.

You might note that there's a theme with my router acquisitions. Each one, at the time, was bought to fill a then current need. Each one had a needed improvement over the previous machine or provided a needed capability the current one didn't have.
    Last edited by John Piwaron; 06-23-2013 at 10:06 AM.