Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shellac flakes not dissolving much

That basically sucks, Jim - sorry to hear the results.

The longest - IIRC - I have had flakes double-bagged in the freeezer is probably 18+ months. I'll pass that in another few months, though - garnet consumption much lower than extra/ultra blonde, so we'll see what happens. Again - the only reason mine are in the freezer and not a fridge is that the freezer is handy and I'm too lazy to tromp upstairs to the kitchen.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Jim,

Do you have one of those vacuum-bag freezing systems? You know, you buy half a cow...cut it up...stick it in special bags...vacuum and seal the bag...then toss it in the freezer for a couple of years and it will still be fine. That could be a way.

I don't use shellac flakes and instead buy the Zinnser Bulls Eye Seal Coat already dewaxed and ready for me. I use shellac mostly as a barrier coat or protective coat.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Jim,

Go to the Tools for Working Wood website and read Joel's blog entry "Getting Shellaced 2" from December - they had problems with the plastic containers letting in humidity, leading to degradation of the product.

Andy

http://www.shellacfinishes.biz/

Jim you might consider getting your next batch of flakes from this guy. I have used them for the past couple of years and the stuff is very nice. Color, freshness, and prices are fair. I have had a couple issues over the years with quality control only with the dewaxed shellac. The garnetlac(lower grade) always seems to be about the same. I'd say the same about the buttonlac and seedlac. I have to strain them and fuss a little but it isn't much. At the end of the day, I don't think your troubles with flakey particles in the mix is a result of poor quality DNA. My guess would be the flakes. Something going on there.
    At least you didn't plod ahead and use it on your project like some other guys I have met. You can recover from this one pretty easily. Strain it out and use it as a sealer on your brick porch.

dan

This is a three year old thread, but I'd like to add my two cents (or should I say "2 pound cut"). I'm a wood turner and mainly use oil based finishes (Waterlox is my main finish). A week or so ago I started some projects where I wanted to use shellac. I had about a pound of three year old dewaxed orange flakes that I'd stored in sealed glass jars in my refrigerator, and I had some Home Depot denatured alcohol in a quart can that was also about three years old (but seldom opened).

I read all the forums on the topic of making shellac from flakes, including this one. One of them had a recommendation to heat the mixture - the "double boiler method". Many suggested grinding the flakes. I "bit the bullet" tonight, as I'd finally gotten a couple of Mason jars to mix and store it in. I made the 2 lb. cut mixture (4 liquid oz of alcohol to 1 oz by weight of flakes). I shook the jar and there was some dissolution. I boiled water in a small pot, turned off the heat, and waited for the bubbles to stop forming on the bottom of the pot. I put the Mason jar of mixture in the pot (with the lid off, so it wouldn't burst from the expansion). I forgot about it and went back to turning.

About two hours later I remembered my shellac and went back to the kitchen. I put the lid on and before shaking it looked at the solution - it was fully dissolved. I shook it and looked at it with a light behind it, no residue on the sides of the jar. At this point I was in a state of disbelief, I must have done something wrong. I took an unfinished "egg" of pine (a turning project) and dabbed my new shellac on it with a cloth - it was dry to the touch in less than five minutes. OK, maybe it wasn't a thick enough layer. I put the egg on a piece of paper and poured the shellac on it. Less than five minutes for the drying.

It would seem the heating of the solution is the solution to making a quick batch of shellac from flakes. Let me emphasize that I didn't boil it, I boiled the water then let it cool to just below boiling (not even a "simmer", no bubbles and no steam).

Best, Jon

Your saga reminds me why I use SealCoat shellac and tint it with Transtint dyes for whatever color I want. Way less frustration, and it's always ready to use.

John

FWIW, I have a cheap, garage sale coffee grinder in the shop that I use to grind up my shellac flakes before mixing. Doing it like this, I can mix a fresh batch in about an hour.

If you store the flakes or the alcohol in the freezer in plastic container , then the freezer could remove the moisture and water during the cold storage

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    FWIW, I have a cheap, garage sale coffee grinder in the shop that I use to grind up my shellac flakes before mixing. Doing it like this, I can mix a fresh batch in about an hour.
    +1. Got a cheap grinder from Amazon.

I also microwave some water in a bowl, and place the mason jar in the water to speed dissolving. Works well.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.