Thread: Copper Try Square

Copper Try Square

I don't post too often around here, but do a lot of reading and have gained much knowledge from these forums since I started woodworking a few years ago. So thank you!

I like to build one or two quick items between the months long furniture projects. So having just finished the crib for my child en route, it was fortuitous to find a 36" long copper bar stashed in the floor joists of this old house. The stock is from an offcut of quartersawn Jotoba flooring left over from the construction of the McMansion down the street. I wonder if the europeans had try squares in the copper age (3200-2500BC)?

Cheers!

DSC_9752-edit.jpg

Nice project and grats on the upcoming bundle of joy. You'll have to update us how the patina develops

That's really cool. That copper is beautiful.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Looks great.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    You'll have to update us how the patina develops
    On the square, the crib, the kid, or the father?

Pretty nice. The beam on squares is properly tempered to a spring temper; do you have a sense of how the copper is tempered (I had to look it up; turns out you can temper copper to several grades of springiness)?

Very nice. I'll bet the copper will look very nice over time.

I especially like they way you put my initials on it.

Thanks for the kind feedback.

Bill -- I don't believe the blade is tempered. It's not springy at all and if bent it will stay that way. It's stout enough though that you really have to wrench on it hard to bend it. If it took a really hard it it could be bent back without too much trouble.