Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bummer - Price increase

Bummer - Price increase

Price increase on Powermatic Lathe July 1, 2013 according to CPOPowermatic website.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Man.... is that many people buying new lathes? Are are that many people taking up the lathe? I use to think we (turners) were a smaller unique group compared to the flat workers. Times must be a changin.
    Have a Nice Day!

Geepers, you're kidding, It is already $1000 overpriced.
    May as well buy an American or Canada made one.
    WMH does have a great service department, but with the others, you will spend less time on the phone with the black or white one
    "If a tree falls in the forrest, and no one is around, do you make a bowl out of it?" (Jerry Rhoads)

I simply do not understand why so many people go for the Taiwanese made Powermatic when they could get an American made Robust or Canadian made Oneway for about the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harkrader View Post
    I simply do not understand why so many people go for the Taiwanese made Powermatic when they could get an American made Robust or Canadian made Oneway for about the same price.
    Because the extra $1,750 difference between a (current price) Powermatic and a Sweet Sixteen is itself more than I have ever spent on a tool. But even then as the saying goes, "Cheaper than a bass boat!"

So where can you find a 20" lathe made in North America for anything near the price of a 3520B ?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Place your bets (figuratively speaking) on the July 1 street price.

The exact words:
    Effective July 1, 2013
    Powermatic will increase prices,
    and all dealers must comply.
    Buy now to lock in savings!

They already raised the stupid price last year and now again! If I ever needed another lathe it would not be a PM. I would just fork out the extra and by American made. My opinion is that the chiwanese factory workers will be getting better wages over the next decade and anything made over seas will sky rocket. It is getting to where you have to win a small lottery to buy tools anymore!
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Excerpt from a 2007 review: "At $2799.99, (4-15-2007) the Powermatic 3520B Lathe certainly is not cheap but in terms of bang for the buck this machine is going to be very difficult to beat…"

So that is about a 6% inflation rate since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Excerpt from a 2007 review: "At $2799.99, (4-15-2007) the Powermatic 3520B Lathe certainly is not cheap but in terms of bang for the buck this machine is going to be very difficult to beat…"

So that is about a 6% inflation rate since then.
    I wish I got 6% pay increases since 2007! I got a measly 2% this year to offset a 40% increase in health benefits costs.
    Last edited by Greg Just; 06-29-2013 at 8:10 AM.

what I find to be quite fantastic is the price jump to get from the 20" throw up to the 24" model. The price point almost doubles. You are also correct that the North American 16" lathes are still more expensive than the Powermatic 20" by about $500 for Oneway and a whopping $1800 for Robust. But if you compare prices for the larger 24" lathes then you save money buying a North American built.

I guess all that you can conclude is to by bigger lathe so you can save money.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mackinnon View Post
    I guess all that you can conclude is to buy bigger lathe so you can save money.
    That works for me. For my wife, not so much.
    Regards,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    I wish I got 6% pay increases since 2007! I got a measly 2% this year to offset a 40% increase in health benefits.
    Suspect you meant a 40% increase in health benefit costs, not an increase in the benefits themselves, which in all likelihood actually went down.
    Scott Haddix

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Haddix View Post
    Suspect you meant a 40% increase in health benefit costs, not an increase in the benefits themselves, which in all likelihood actually went down.
    Yes you are correct and I changed original response. Benefit coverage actually got worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    I wish I got 6% pay increases since 2007! I got a measly 2% this year to offset a 40% increase in health benefits costs.
    Amen brother. And on top of that I'm getting FURLOUGHED for 11 days, my health care insurance just doubled this year and is going up again next fiscal year and so on.....eventually the chiwanese made tools are going to level out with American made tool prices IMHO.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006