Thread: Waterlox application across the grain

Waterlox application across the grain

I just thought I would post this for newer woodworkers like myself.

I was a bit disappointed with my fourth coat of Waterlox. After having done some light sanding prior to this coat, I knew I'd be getting close to being fully leveled out and I wanted a great coat. But unfortunately there were a few pretty long spots where the brush pressure was uneven and there was no varnish. I didn't catch this until it was setting up, and the flow out was not sufficient for filling it in. No big deal, but I certainly didn't want something like this happening on my last coat.

So I was re-reading the official Waterlox application instructions yesterday, and I caught this statement:

"Begin with long even strokes across the grain. Let only the tip of the brush touch the surface, overlapping eachbrush stroke slightly. Use only enough brush strokes to completely cover the surface. "

Um, what? Across the grain? Who does that?

"Using the same brush, but without dipping it in varnish again, brush along the grain of the wood. Begin at one edgeand in one continuous movement, carry the brush to the opposite edge. Overlap the strokes slightly until the wholesurface is done. "

So this is exactly what I did on coat #5, and guess what? It's the most even and bubble-free coat I've had on my 12 foot bartop. I went slow and light. Just thought I'd share. From here I'll be wiping on several coats and that should do it.

That cross grain, then tip off with grain, is the long standing traditional method for applying varnish by brush. With WaterLox sealer/finish solids are so low that it can be applied, straight from the container by wiping rather than brushing, Many find that a very effective way to achieve excellent results.

Thanks Steve, I did a lot of reading online but I didn't see anything about cross grain (or more likely, I misread it/overlooked it). I'm going to do the next 3 coats or so by wiping, I figured since it was a bartop I should build up more by brushing first. It's probably thicker than most woodworkers would prefer for furniture, but I'm liking the look of it.

Here's the bar, by the way....

IMG_5073.jpg

That looks fantastic. Are you planning to rub the surface out? If you are, then I would suggest you consider continuing with the brushing. I have found it difficult to rub out wiped on Waterlox; it's just too easy for me to burn through layers. YMMV, though.

As Steve said, the instructions from Waterlox is the application method used by most of the finishers I have known. Cross grain brushing followed by long grain single strokes is the best way to insure an even and complete coating.
    Howie.........

Thanks Howie. I've never done a finish other than wiping on Watco onto a cherry bookcase and wall panels I built years ago. Doing anything across the grain seems to counter intuitive to me but now it makes total sense. Never too old to learn!

Thanks Prashun. I'm just not sure, honestly. If the wiped on coats look and feel good... will I need to?

Also... I'll have five brushed coats underneath, so it's pretty built up.
    Last edited by Brian Wis; 07-22-2013 at 12:14 PM.