Thread: Tanning cherry in cutting board top

Tanning cherry in cutting board top

I've got a 24" x 36" x 2.5" edgegrain top finally glued up, 1/3 is cherry w/ walnut and sepele. The cherry is quite abit lighter, I know that the sun will darken it but my question is- If I place this in the sunlight to darken the cherry would there be a possibility of the top bowing/warping from the heat of 98-100 sunlight, anyone have any experience with tanning butcher blocks ?

Quote Originally Posted by denis tuomey View Post
    If I place this in the sunlight to darken the cherry would there be a possibility of the top bowing/warping from the heat of 98-100 sunlight, ?
    Yes. Let the cherry darken naturally.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I put a cherry test board out in the sun for a couple of hours for 3 days. It warped, but it did get some great color.

A very dilute Chromate of Potash tincture (Potassium dichromate) will rapidly darken cherry.

You'll need a test sample, and a few dilutions to get close.
    Allow THREE FULL DAYS between application and your choice.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=27343

My mentor uses this stuff to great effect when making repairs to antiques.

Don't put it in the sun. Not only will it warp it may split open in several areas.

I frequently use cherry and have used cutoffs to make more cutting boards than I care to count.
    For furniture, I oil it and put it out into our intense sunlight for several days to tan.
    Cutting boards? I've never tanned them. Once oiled well w/mineral oil and in a fairly short period of time [indoors] the cherry comes around on it's own.